Chapter 24: First move

Start from the beginning

Grace smirked to herself and giggled at the memories she probably was very fond of. Connor on the other hand took mental note of all the similarities he was just now coming to learn between Grace and Chester's story and one he was writing on his own with a certain Blue person.

-"Anyhow, when it came to universities, I decided I'd go to Berkeley, in California. It was a big deal but my grandparents had given me the money so that I could go there. You know, to do my studying. I had everything planned out, from where to stay, and where to work at first and whom to meet... And he went to chase his dream to New York... Yeah, and that's when we called it quits."

Grace made a brief pause let out a melancholic sigh, as if remembering old mistakes from a past life.

-"... In Berkeley, I met Hank. He went there, too. And we fell in love. Or else, that's what we thought..."

Grace pulled over, stopping right in front of the blue house. Connor looked at it from inside the car, his vision focused on the pretty colors of the walls, and on the mysterious white draped window on the top left corner. Out of all the rooms, that was the only one with white curtains. It stood out too much. It made him wonder about what might be inside.

As he turned around to tell Grace goodbye, she squeezed his check gently with a sad smile on her face.

-"... Don't call quits on the good things, Connor."—she said to him—"If it's worth it, fight for it. Listen to this old hag and take that into memory."

-"... Okay."—Connor said—"I will."

Connor opened the car's door, ready to get down. But before he did, he remained seated for a second, and then turned around and gave Grace a kiss on the cheek goodbye.

-"I'll call later."—he said, and then left the car and headed to Troye's front door, knowing that Grace was watching him as he walked that way with a hint of sweetness in her smile.

Funny, how something so trivial can make such a change between two people. To Connor, Grace was a strong woman who had given him and Alexis opportunities like nobody else had before, one of the strongest he had come around so far, worthy of his respect and gratefulness. But so far Connor hadn't asked himself what Grace saw him as. And if he had, he would've seen that to her, her was a young man with a tragic past and a brilliant future; one who deserved the chance to make the best of life just like any other one, and someone whom day after day, moved closer to her heart.

Funny, how people tend to overlook the tiny things.

Connor stood in front of Troye's door and rang the doorbell. It didn't take long for Troye to answer, opening the door and greeting Connor with a wide smile.

-"'Sup, mate?"—Troye asked, mimicking Joe's manner of speech.

-"Don't ever do that again."—Connor said, shaking his head in disapproval.

The green eyed boy turned around and waved Grace goodbye before entering the house and Troye closing the door behind him, and only then was it that Connor noticed Troye's getup. Until then, every time Connor had met Troye, the Australian had either been all dressed up for good impressions or in his pajamas. Which is he found it funny when Troye received him in nothing but an oversized white t-shirt a black sweatpants. He was sporting terrible bed hair, and judging from the look on his eyes, yet un-showered. But still, Connor didn't think about a second to complain.

-"Sorry if I look a tad sloppy..."—Troye said, scratching the back of his head—"I'll go change into some other clothes..."

-"Why?"—Connor asked indistinctively—"I don't mind. It's your house anyway."