f o u r t e e n || eyes open

­author's note at the bottom. i just want you guys to enjoy the story. what are you waiting for?! read!

"They never thought you'd make it this far"
-Taylor swift, Eyes Open

After only two weeks, I realize how much more I liked it when the team wasn't around. Now, I feel the suffocation of living with strangers. I wouldn't last a day on Big Brother.

Of course, they still ignore me. It isn't the kind of ignoring that leads them to clear the room once I'm in view. Rather, it's the awkward and polite "hellos" in the middle of raucous conversations. It's obvious that a team of Demmortals trained to take down criminals won't have a welcome committee built in. But as I realize, I need to become part of DEM. Sooner or later, I'll have to hold my own on missions. And if I don't manage, I'll end up just like Weston.

I put on fresh clothes, peeling off ones that are left in cold sweat. Demon's been acting up in dreams, feeding off my nightmares. In them, the memory of what happened plays, only it's me in Weston's place and I'm alone.

I'm starting to learn their schedule so know when to leave my fortress of hiding. At eight, they have breakfast. After that, they depart; either to their rooms or out. And that's when the schedule stops being routine. Sometimes, they'll be in all day and sometimes, they'll be out until midnight. However, because of Weston's condition, there's always someone other than me in. Today, it's Chase.

I eat a late brunch of pasta leftovers. Chase has a tendency to make more than usual for days where we need food quickly.

My toes suffer from the chill around the house. I want nothing more than to escape under covers but since that's done about nothing, it's time for Plan B: training.

I wander the halls, trying to find James' room. I only know mine and Chase's. So I take a chance, knocking on the one at the corner of the hall, past the living room. At first, there's no answer so I turn to leave but before I do, it swings open with a lazy force. Nothing changes in James' expression except a small turn up of the corner of his lip.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀"Can I train with you?" If he's at all surprised, he doesn't show it. He only closes the door slowly. In a minute, he comes out wearing a plain black shirt and grey sweatpants.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀He moves towards the elevator and holds the door for me, giving me a look. You just gonna stand there? I'm stunned for a moment, but follow him in.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀I'll never understand people like James. Quiet yet says everything in the shortest way possible. My polar opposite.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀We're greeted with darkness. James plays with a panel on the side until the lights flood in. I blink a few times, eyes adjusting. "I already told you. You need to learn how to use your Sense before you can learn how to fight. Using your Sense will train your mind, making you somewhat resistant to others' Senses. It isn't about how good you can throw a punch alone that'll save you." His somewhat big nose is right up in my face as he says this. I have an instinct to step back but his chocolate eyes are transfixed on mine. James doesn't blink, staring hard at me. He sticks out his hand, a knife laying flat on his palm.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀You know, it would be a pretty good idea if I picked it up, I tell myself, sticking my arm out to grab it. It feels right. I hold the cold piece of metal and feel powerful. I raise the weapon to my neck until it's pressed against it. It's just going to be a small cut, I tell myself, pushing inwards slightly.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀But before I can keep going, I'm stopped by a voice. Are you fucking insane? Demon screeches. I can feel her trying to take over my body again.