t w e l v e || welcome to the family

what the hell is wrong with the wattpad update? i went through so much shit just to post this chapter - it's honestly ridiculous. i hope they sort things out soon. it's not worth it to have to fix every paragraph and italics for an entire chapter. i felt like that took more time than writing it.

yes, the training facility is inspired by the one in divergent. truth be told, i always had the idea [even before divergent] but divergent illustrated it perfectly so why not? [it's also a lot smaller, obviously.]

"Can't help the people you're missin'."
–Avenged Sevenfold, Welcome to the Family

           I know it's too good to be true.

           "What idiot would risk something like that? How stupid are you?" I'm sure there's more to his rant but I let myself fade out of reality, opening a door to the space inside my head.

           Three pairs of eyes stare me down, anticipating my next move. I'm an example of Chase's limited power. Hey guys, I can be tough, I imitate. He sounds like a badly written script.

           Despite the words cutting me like a knife, I don't waver. "If you were a real leader, you wouldn't need to yell at me to show off your power. So tell me: who's making you feel like you aren't good enough?" I stare my audience down with narrowed eyes and they give me hooded expressions in return.

           "You can't just do whatever you want and expect it to not affect the rest of us. We're a team. Stop being a bitch or stay out of our way." He'd inched closer in his rant and his angered breathing tickles my cheek.

           His emotions must be contagious because  I don't even feel it when my hand makes contact with his face.

           Thud.

           A crack like lightning dances around the room, blinding everyone but me. Like slow motion, everyone's expressions change from shadowed to incredulous. Chase is down like pins after I've scored a strike and I'm watching my actions unravel.

           What the hell did I just do? I stare at my hands as if they'll do something against my will.

           Suddenly, I'm grabbed by one of DEM. I don't fight it, welcoming the restraint. "You need to get in control."

           "Exactly why I wanted to leave!" And because I know I've done something wrong, I can't stop the tears from flooding my vision, leaving droplets on the lenses of my glasses.

           "So leave," Red taunts, still attempting to help me up. "But if you do, we will catch you. And even though we don't, Rene shoots to kill."

           James loosens his grip and aids Red in helping Chase up. He's coming to, disoriented but otherwise fine.

           "Or, you can do what Rene wants. Trust me, it's a hell of a lot better than the other option." Izaly isn't unkind, she's honest. Like the rest, she quickly gets up to check on Chase, helping him to a chair.

           You can do what Rene wants, her words echo in my brain. Like I don't even matter.

            🌌           🌌           🌌

           I'm grabbing breakfast when Rene waltzes in. He looks exactly as I remember. His blond hair is combed to look professional and he's wearing a suit. He's also got that proud parent look on. It throws me off —I haven't done anything but cause trouble.