Chapter 1

Nightmares (Chapter 1)

Each night, the same dream, dark and unknown, shatters the peaceful sleep of Gabriel Heart.

In it, he races through a dark forest of looming trees surrounded by dry, brown grass. Terror and pain force him to look at his side where he sees a deep gash flowing dark blood. The wound burns as if on fire. Refocusing, Gabriel takes in his surroundings and realizes that he is chasing a figure just ahead. Even at the youthful age of fifteen, he struggles to keep up.

The man in front of him is taller, muscular, older, and wounded in the side just like Gabriel is. They both skid to a stop.

Not too far away, Gabriel hears screeching howls. He looks at the man; he is blonde, with sapphire eyes and sun-burned skin; his face and hands are tattooed with glowing marks. He is wearing a robe that is torn from running through the trees. Both of them take deep breaths...waiting and listening. Suddenly, there is a loud crash from behind; the man takes off and Gabriel struggles to follow.

"Hey! Wait, what's going on? What are we running from?" Gabriel shouts, trying his best not to trip over a branch or lose sight of the man in front of him.

'Maybe, he can't hear me' he thinks to himself as he runs through a dead, moss covered tree.

"Whoa," Gabriel says, realizing he is running through branches that the other man is pushing out of the way. The man takes a look back; his eyes frantic. Pausing, Gabriel turns around. Stomach dropping, he sees them: a whole pack of enormous Jackal-like humanoids with dark crimson skin, black eyes and elongated fangs. The creatures are loping after them. Beads hang from their long, dark hair that tangled in dreads, and their clothing reminds him of an African tribe he had learned about in history class. Some of the creatures carry swords and shields, and others have long blade-like nails, razor sharp.

Gabriel runs faster, sprinting after the stranger in front of him until they both come to a sudden stop in a clearing of trees just at the edge of a rocky cliff. The strange man turns around and pulls a deadly blade from his robe. Gabriel takes in the steep drop, suddenly taking a step back in panic.

"Listen, I don't know where I am. What are those things back there? What is going on?" The words come in a rush. There is a loud crack, and Gabriel turns around just as the creatures come into the clearing. At least twenty of them are edging closer, snarling and barking in a harsh language.

"You disgusting Conquerors!" the man cries as he swings his silver blade wildly. Suddenly, Gabriel realizes that neither the strange warrior nor the savage creatures can see him. He is invisible.

"Back! I said back! Who sent you? Where is the traitor that walks among you?"

"Lockland, it seems as if you are in trouble," murmurs a calm voice from the shadows. The creatures that the man calls Conquerors are silent, parting for a hooded figure wearing a dark robe.

"No... Not you. Of all people why you?! What is the meaning of this?! You're a Champion! A warrior! We are sworn to protect the innocent from the evil creatures of this world!" Lockland shouts as he grasps at his side. His wound is obviously getting worse, and he was losing a lot of blood.

"It is a simple answer to a simple question. The true emperor over humanity has called upon me to prepare for his perfect return. He has promised me more power than I could ever imagine, even my own kingdom if I wish," the hooded figure boast, laughing loudly. "Humans are his playthings. Don't you see? We are Champions, Lockland, higher than them. They are slaves and we are their masters; we rule over all lower creatures", the hooded figure says as he takes a step closer.