Faded Bruises: Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

-------------------

"I love you."

My heart abruptly skipped a beat. My breathing hitched from the unexpected phrase. The words sounded so sweet and deep coming from his lips. His eyes turned sincere and loving. His cheeks blushed a bright pink. I was lost for words. I opened my mouth to say something but my mind wouldn't form the right words. My cheeks flushed a color that matched his and a wide smile spread across my face. My eyes welled up with tears. This was the first time anyone had ever said that to me. Not even my own mother.

"I know you don't hear those words enough." He spoke before I did. "You're a girl that needs to be told that you're beautiful an-and smart and fun. You've been hurt and scarred and unloved almost all of your life. And I promise you this Scar. I promise that I will tell you everyday how valuable and special you are, to make up for the days when nobody did." He reached out for my hand and intertwined our fingers together.

"And I know that sounds corny but, it's true."

He blushed and looked down at our hands, clearly embarrassed. He had no reason to be. No one had ever made me feel so loved in my entire life.

I reached out and lifted his chin so his eyes would meet mine. He looked up, still embarrassed. I leaned in and pressed my lips against his, softly. He cupped my face and kissed me back. I pulled away and he wrapped his arms around me, snuggling me close.

"That was the most meaningful thing anyone has ever said to me." I broke the silence. "I didn't know you felt that way, John."

"Well... I do." He said, laying his cheek against the top of my head, running his hand up and down my arm, soothing me.

I started to giggle and buried my face in his chest.

"What?" He chuckled

"Tough, teddy-boy John is a romantic?" It was more a statement than a question. I looked up at him and he looked down at me.

"Lay off, Scar."

----------------------

The rest of the afternoon we were huddled up next to each other, talking about anything that could get my mind off of the events that occurred the morning before. But then John brought up the inevitable.

"Scar. What're you gonna do about Stan."

My mood instantly flipped from content to horrified. I wished I could just avoid the situation and forget about Stan forever, but it wasn't like he was just going to disappear into thin air. I laid my head on John's chest and just focused on his breathing. His heart fluttered under my ear and his chest moved up and down from each breath he drew. His warmth comforted me and calmed me down enough to finally speak up.

"I-I have to talk to him. I can't be afraid. I can't spend the rest of my life in fear and depend on time for things to get better. It's not going to get better if I do absolutely nothing about it."

"I'm coming with you." He said, kissing my forehead.

"No you can't. He'll hurt you, John."

I expected him to argue back, but he kept quiet and let me finish.

"There's a party. Tomorrow night at my friend, Tammy's house. He's invited, I can call it off there. He won't hurt me in front of a bunch of people."

"I don't know, Scar. It's very risky, love." He held my hands in his.

"I know. But I have to make a move or something bad is going to happen. I've put this off for far too long."

----------------------

The lights were dimmed to the point were I could hardly see. I walked around the foreign house, keeping an eye out for Stan. The music was blaring so loud I couldn't think straight. I'd covered up my bruises and cuts so it wouldn't raise any questions. A part of me really wished John was here. I felt so safe and secure with him. Without him I felt naked and alone.

I suddenly felt hands grab on to my shoulders and grip them tight, causing me to scream. I noticed a few people glare as I turned around fast and was face to face with a rather drunk Stan.

"What the fuck, Scar? I'm not a fucking killer just calm down." He raised his voice a little too loud, which made me flinch. He basically towered over me, making me feel small and powerless.

He handed me a drink and wrapped an arm around me, as I started to shake. I held the cup to my lips and I almost spilt it all over me, due to my hands loosing control. The strong liquid burnt my throat and made my chest burn. I brought my hand to my mouth and coughed, hard, making the burn subside from my chest.

"Make sure you drink up. We're gonna have a little fun tonight."

He lifted the cup back up to my lips and forced me to swallow the last bit of the drink. My vision soon started to blur. The music blared in and out of my ears like someone was turning it up and down, fast. My palms started to sweat and my legs felt weak. Surely I wouldn't get like this from one drink. I've had more then one scotch before and was totally fine. This time was different. I felt sick to my stomach and searched for a chair. I could feel Stan next to me but couldn't see him. I kept bumping into things and faintly heard Stan claim to his friends that I "couldn't handle my alcohol."

I felt my self get slung over his shoulder and tried to yell but the words wouldn't come out. My skin broke out in goosebumps and my spine shivered as I felt Stan walk up some steps, slowly.

I fell in and out of consciousness until I hit a soft surface. I felt the bed underneath me and Stan locked my hands against the mattress. Memories of a few days ago reeled through my mind. The feeling of no control, the feeling of getting slapped hard across the face. The feeling of self pity. The feeling of wanting to die then and there. I'd never wanted to go through those feelings again, but they returned, only worse.

I felt sloppy lips against my skin and groaned as I tried to escape. I was so weak I could hardly lift my head. I felt gripping fingers on my thighs and yelped in pain. Hot tears stung my eyes and rolled down my cheeks.

I could only muster getting one single word out. The only thing that I wanted the most in that moment.

"John."