14: Annalie

"Hey Annalie." Toby sits down at the lunch table next to me.

"Oh. Hey." I smile.

"So, how's your second day of school?" He asks.

"Oh, you know. Mediocre." 

He laughs. "Same. I was really thinking being in high school was going to be more...exciting."

"Yeah. Me too." I laugh. "Although I am reaaally excited for Homecoming. Kylie and Bea talk about how much fun it is."

Oh. My. God. Annalie, did you really just let those words out of your mouth?

You're not supposed to tell the guy you like that you're excited for Homecoming! You just don't do that!

"Yeah, I'm excited for the Homecoming game." He says. "My brother Jeremy is finally head quarterback this year." 

"Oh? That's cool." I say.

"It is. He's a senior this year, which means my mom is like....super depressed. She knows Jer is gonna get this big scholarship and take him far, far away. She can't handle that." Toby snorts.

"What, does she forget that there's another son still under her roof?"

"Yup." Toby laughs. "It's just that....ever since my dad left, she's been super over-protective."

Toby is talking about his dad. Toby is opening up about his dad. To me? I've never heard Toby talk about his dad. Ever. The only reason I know the man exists and left his family is because Eli told me.

"Well, that's explainable, then." I say.

"Yeah...." Toby seems focused on something else, something deep in his mind. "You told me something. Something super important to you. Something top secret." He whispers.

He's talking about Dad. "Um, yeah."

"I want to show you something." Toby takes an envelope out of his hoodie pocket. It's addressed to him, with no return address. "Open that."

I open the envelope and take out the letter inside, reading it silently.

Dear Toby,

You were always the calm-tempered one. I wanted to talk to one of you. You, Jeremy, or your mother, but I knew if I wrote to your mom, then that would just make her sad, and Jeremy would just become angry. So, Tobster, I wrote to you.

I'm sure you're angry at me, and you have every right to be. No good father leaves a young mother with two boys that are only 8 and 5.

I've fixed my life, Toby. I'm better now. I have a job, a house. I even have a dog! His name is Buster. I live in L. A., and I'd really like to get the chance to talk to you, so if you'll take the time, I'd love to speak with you. I want to speak with all three of you, but I figured it was better to just start slowly.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Love, Dad

Toby's father's phone number is written below his name. "Why...why show me this?"

"Because I have no one else to show. He was right. I can't....can't tell Jeremy or Mom. It'd be a disaster. And I'm not telling Eli, because to be honest, he's been a jerk since he and Nina started dating. So I told you."  

"What do you want me to do about it? Sorry if I sound rude, but.... Well?"

"I needed to tell someone. I don't know what to do."