Goddess Girl- Chapter IIII

Beginne am Anfang

She smiled at me from across the crooked table, “Pick whatever ye want. There’s plenty.”

As I began to fill my mouth with the delicious, earthy food, several questions wandered in my mind. Where is this place? What is she? Why is there moss everywhere? …

The first question was partially answered as I looked out the window- where massive thick branches wove patterns around our oddly shaped room. It was then that I realized- we were inside of a tree.

“Fen, your home is… is…” I groped for the right words inside my head, “enchanting.” Her lips tilted upwards, and she looked away from my unwavering gaze.

“Thank you, I find it very comfortable. Especially for my, well, occupation.” She sounded a strained, somehow. As if she didn’t want to tell me what she was really thinking.

A book toppled off of a nearby shelf and onto the floor, coughing up small clouds of dust. It looked ancient. It’s leather bound cover read Maps of Mountain Caves (Warning: Dangerous Adventures Await You!). Fen flicked a finger behind her and the book rose off of the mossy floor, hovering towards its previous perch. My mouth gaped wide open.

Fen’s unsure eyes darted back at me as if she had just realized that someone else was here with her. I scooted back quickly, my chair almost toppling backwards as my feet planted themselves firmly on the overgrown floor. Her face looked so sad, as I betrayed her trust again. The book behind her immediately fell down onto the ground, as her concentration broke, and looking at her broken eyes made my heart wrench.

“Fen, Fen I’m sorry! I just… I just don’t know what to think!” Wow,  that was lame.

“Well, Gryffin, that is ok. Because when you leave here I’m erasing your memory anyway. You will never even remember me. I’ll just be that, that little freak,” The word rolled off of her tongue dangerously, “that you see in the hallways. Or better yet- I’ll disappear again. I knew mingling with you silly mortal folk was stupid! I don’t think I’ll ever venture into your unfair world again. I’ve had enough.”

Her eyes were glistening with unshed tears. My heart wrenched, longing to wrap my arms around her and tell her it’s ok. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.

But wait- don’t I have a girlfriend? And what the hell is Fen, anyway?

She flinched, backing away from me, her long golden skirts fluttering in the afternoon breeze. I reached out my hand, only to have her raise her arm to shield her face, and a colony of bats shot out of a nearby cabinet, screeching and clawing at my face and hair.

“Just go, Gryffin. I’ll make sure you won’t remember a thing- go- move on with your life!” Her voice grew in volume- suddenly swollen thick with power. My eyes opened wide- taking in her new form.

Her eyes were now devoid of tears- as she fearlessly glared at me. Wild locks seemed to hover around her head, looking for predators. The flowing skirts wrapped around her delicate legs, and her many necklaces and crystals danced in the glowing day light. She looked magical. She looked perfect.

“Fen, please, let me stay. At least until I learn more about you. I’m so sorry, for anything that I said. I can only hope you’ll forgive me.”

Fen

As I glared at him, hopefully looking fierce, the look on his face found it’s way into my heart.

His eyes were round, and almost scared, but very determined. He was trying to earn his place here- ha. Mortal. Stupid, mortal. I don’t think I can handle much more of this… this judging. Time to wipe his memory…