5. Not Right

Billie quickly sat up right. He wasn’t at home, he wasn’t in town, but he was in an alleyway and he wasn’t sure where. He got to his feet and realized he was only in shorts and a shirt. His hands were covered in blood, only on his palms. The temperature was low, rain was beginning to fall. Billie fished through his pockets, searching for his phone or car keys. He had nothing, not even lint. His bare feet were freezing. He wiped the blood mostly on his shirt.

Billie stepped out of the alleyway, he didn’t recognize the area. But the building across the street was the bar that Saint Jimmy seemed to have favored. He looked down the street, an elderly couple was about to walk into a fancy restaurant.

“Hey! Excuse me!” Billie said scampering over to them on the now slick pavement.

“I’m sorry sir, but we can’t give you any money.” The man said. Billie laughed lightly, they thought he was homeless.

“No, no. I don’t need money.” Billie said shaking his head. “But I do need help.” Billie told them.

“Depends on what.” The woman said.

“Where am I? Could you tell me where there is a phone I could use?” Billie asked. He looked around. He knew this wasn’t his town, this was far away. Saint Jimmy had just killed his first victims near Billie’s town.

“Have you been drinking tonight?” The woman asked. Billie sighed, how would he explain having a dream about killing someone and waking up in an alley?

“Y-yeah. And I wanted to call a friend to come pick me up.” Billie replied. The woman sighed and pulled out a cellphone.

“At least it’s responsible.” The woman said. Billie took it and quickly dialed Tré’s number. He stood awkwardly until Tré answered.

“Hello?” Tré asked.

“Hey Tré, it’s me, Billie. I was wondering if you could come pick me up?” Billie said.

“Yea, sure. Where you at?” Tré asked. Billie looked at the elderly couple.

“Where am I?” Billie asked sheepishly.

“You’re on Baker Road near Renden Street.” The man answered. Billie nodded and told Tré. Tré said he was on his way and for Billie to wait there. Billie hung up, thanked the elderly couple and went to sit by the closed coffee shop under the awning as it rained.

Billie sat and watched the cars pass by and he hummed to himself. He was silently panicking now, how did he get here, what was up with the dreams? He knew something was wrong. He felt like he sat there for an hour, the storm was harsh. Finally after forever, Tré’s car pulled up onto the curb and honked. Billie sprang up and ran to the car, he quickly got in. Mike was in the back seat smoking a joint.

“Sorry it took so long. I had to print off a fucking map.” Tré said. Mike passed Billie the join that was basically dead. Billie took the last hit, just to heat himself up.

“Why did you need a map?” Billie asked.

“This is like an hour and a half away, Billie!” Tré said. Billie flinched. “How the hell did you get here?” Tré asked.

“I don’t know.” Billie mumbled. “I just woke up and I was here.” Billie answered.

“What do you mean? I doubt you sleepwalked all the way here.” Mike said. Even though he was totally stoned, he could make perfect sense when he need be. He could be totally baked, and other people, even police wouldn’t even notice.

“I don’t even remember falling asleep. All I remember was my dream. And then waking up in an alleyway.” Billie said.

“What did you dream about?” Mike asked. Tré was listening, but he was more focused on driving through the horrid weather.

“What have I been dreaming about this past month?” Billie asked sarcastically. “Puppies and rainbows!”

“Saint Jimmy.” Tré stated, not even taking his eyes off the road. Billie just nodded.

“I’ve been dreaming about who he kills even before it’s announced.” Billie told them both.

“Who did he kill in your dream this time?” Tré asked.

“Remember that cop?” Billie asked. Tré nodded. “Him.” Billie said. Just then, a bunch of police cruisers rushed by, lights flashing, sirens going, and ambulances following.