Chapter 4: Impressions

"And does anybody know how to work out the orbital speed of Mars rotating around the Sun?

The last lesson of the day. Koizumi Rei sat in the back corner of the classroom, a place where she hopefully wouldn't stand out. She had heard people talking about her, about how she shut down, her face always blank, her gaze slightly distant. They also talked about the fact that she never said anything at all, and even if she was was talked to she would at best raise an eyebrow. She was boring, they said.

That, she thought, was the intention. If you shut yourself off, nothing is difficult. They stop talking to you, and you can get on with your life uninterrupted. I've always done it this way. But even I get lonely, even I have ambitions, and it's too late to change that here. That was when she decided. She would go to high school in Japan, where her father came from, and then she would try to open up, to go against her restricting habits. Her father was enthusiastic, wanting her to experience Japan, but her mother was very against having to move away from England.

And so, she flew across alone, just like normal. Always alone.

She could open up with less people around, less people to think she was odd. A place to show her personality that had been locked away for years.

And so, she traveled to Miyagi, a quiet country place where she could find peace and friends. Karasuno. She knew she wanted to be there.

Quiet, but with all the facilities she could ever want. Just right.

A fresh start.