I didn't know what to do ... when suddenly:

"Even if you tried to open it, it won't open." A familiar voice echoed across the room.

I jerked away from the door and saw Laura Taylor standing at the opposite end of the room, still in her blood soaked hospital gown, looking ghastly. 

Leaning against the adjacent wall she was casually observing me. She pointed towards the door and repeated, "It won't open anymore."

"What?" I replied.

"Go on, try it," Laura said.

I turned back towards the door, and with great trepidation tried the handle. Wrapping my fingers around the cool brass handle, I pulled gently down and found that the door handle wouldn't budge. Confused, I tried turning the handle again, a little harder this time, but the handle still wouldn't move.

Stepping back I looked at Laura and asked, "What's wrong with it?"

Laura hunched her shoulders, "The hell if I know why, and oh by the way, I'm feeling much better now if you were wondering. The last couple of times we met, I was still struggling with all of this," she said waving her hand around the big gaping hole in her chest, "But I've now acclimatised to the situation, and I'm doing much better. Although to tell you the truth, I'm still a little pissed off."

"I'm real sorry about what happened to you," I told her.

"You should be. First you fucked up my arm, and then this," she said glancing down to her empty chest cavity, "Although, technically the arm thing wasn't you. I know it was 'her' who broke my arm that night. She was really pissed off at me, but she's pissed off at everyone."

My eyes widened, "Wait, you know about Celia?"

Laura shrugged, "Not a lot. I mostly talk to the burnt chick that seems to like to hang around you. She's the only one who really talks to me."

Oh my God. The memories of the burning woman with her peeling skin, flashed in front of me. She was the bad ass who'd KO'd Nico with a silver tray when he was being an asshole. 

"So wait, let me get this straight - you've been talking to all the spirits that hang around me," I said.

Laura nodded, "Yip. Congratulations Hayden, I've been dragged into your freak show."

"But, why? It makes no sense. Why are you and all those other spirits haunting me? Why not go to heaven or where ever it is we go when we die?" I asked.

I couldn't understand why they would chose to hang around me. I mean, if I were a ghost and capable of going anywhere, why would I stay in the same place, or attach myself to one person. 

"Well, we're stuck here," Laura said flatly.

Stuck? How could they be stuck?

"Isn't there supposed to be a white light, or a tunnel that you're supposed to float into?" I asked.

"Maybe," Laura sighed irritably, "I don't know. I mean it's not like we're hanging around you out of choice. Someone is stopping us from passing over."

"What?" I replied confused.

"Someone is keeping us from passing over," She replied.

I fell silent, completely taken aback by what she'd told me. Why would someone stop a soul from moving on. More importantly, why would someone want to stop Laura Taylor from moving on? It didn't make sense. 

"Do you know why?" I asked curiously.

Laura groaned, "No, I don't know why! All I know is that I'm fucking cursed to walk around this earth, looking like an extra from a slasher movie. Being dead totally sucks!" she snapped.

And suddenly my life problems didn't seem so bad.

"Okay," I said coolly, "Let's try this again. Why are you here Laura?"

"I told you Hayden, I'm trapped. I can't pass on," Laura said.

"And what do you want me to do about it?" I asked.

Laura dramatically threw her hands up in exasperation and said, "I want you to help me, no, I need you to help me. You are the only one we can talk to. You are the only one who can help, Hayden."

I shook my head, "I don't know how, I don't know anything about ghosts."

"But you can see us!" Retorted Laura.

"Yeah, and I can see birds everyday. That doesn't make me an ornithologist," I replied.

"What the hell is an or-ni-theology-thingy-whatever! It doesn't matter. Gawd, why do you have to be such a smart ass," Laura said, squeezing her eyes shut and massaging her temples.

"I'm only be honest," I said defensively.

"Hayden, look at me!" Laura screamed, "I'm missing my damn heart!"

Groaned in frustration. I felt bad for Laura. I really did but there was really nothing I could do for her. I wasn't a freaking ghostbuster, or TV psychic that could send her into the 'light'. I was a pregnant princess vampire who had a personal life so messed up, it made the guests from the Jerry Springer show almost seem normal.

"I'm sorry Laura. I'm really sorry, but I don't know how to help you," I said.

"Listen," Laura said pointing at the door, "Do you want that door open?"

I hesitated, "Yeah, at some point."

"Then you'll do what we tell you, because if you help us, we'll help you," Laura said.

I looked back at the door and tried the handle again. When it didn't budge, I realised that Laura and her spooky friends had me inbetween a rock and hard place. Great.

"Okay," I said reluctantly, "But I've got questions I want answered," I replied.

Laura smirked, "Very well."

"First I want to know why Celia is haunting me, then I want to knowwhy that door isn't opening, and then I want to know who is causing all this chaos," I said.

"I'll try, but I'll need to talk to the others. Like I said we've been cursed and whoever did this has been very clever at hiding themselves. For example, there are blanks in memory. I don't know who killed me, I don't remember their face, I just remember - " Laura grimaced and stopped herself before going any further. She painfully gazed down at the hole in her chest and looked away.

Feeling guilty I said, "Okay, just find out what you can. Then meet me here tomorrow morning. I'll make sure I'm here, waiting for you," I said.

Laura nodded with a fake smile, "Great, I'll get going and talk to the burnt woman."

"Great, hopefully we can solve this mystery together," I said, feeling less than optimistic.

Laura walked away, her figure fading into nothingness, and just before she disappeared she glanced over her shoulder and said, "Oh, and one last thing Hayden. I'm really sorry for dropping you in this shit. If I'd know the the frat were going to sacrifice you to vampires, I'd probably wouldn't have invited you to the party."

"Thanks," I guess.

Laura vanished and I fell quiet, overwhelmed by everything that she'd told me. I couldn't understand why Laura and the others couldn't pass over, or why someone would be stopping them. Was this why Celia was haunting me? Was this her way of trying to reach out for my help?

But most importantly, why couldn't I open the door that connected Luc to me? And what would this ultimately mean for us...

*************

Hi angels,

Just a note to say thank you for the lovely messages in the last comment section <3 I've really enjoyed reading them, and I've felt deeply moved and inspired by all your kind words. Thank you so much! 

Vicky

XXXX