As soon as he sees that I've looked at his phone, he swipes it up and puts it where I can no longer see it. Apparently he thinks I'm stupid because he texts her back then places his hand on my thigh. If he wanted to be a couple this week, he shouldn't have texted her. Without hesitating, I push his hand away.

"Dessert?" Jason asks once we've finished eating.

"I couldn't possibly eat anymore. Thank you for dinner," I smile.

"No problem," he smiles.

After leaving the restaurant, we go for a walk on the beach. I carry my flip-flops as I walk through the shallow water. When Jason's phone rings, we all stop as he answers the call. He wanders away as we stand there. "Isn't it beautiful?" My mom asks, gesturing to the water.

I look at the picture before me and nod. "Definitely."

"Do you like swimming Maddox?" she asks.

He nods. "Sometimes."

Jason returns to us and whispers something to my mom. Maddox and I take a few steps away, giving them their space to talk. I watch as they have a heated discussion, my mom looking annoyed. "What's wrong?" Maddox asks quietly.

"Nothing," I say, turning my gaze to the ocean.

"There's obviously something wrong," he counters.

"I seen the text, Maddox. I'm not stupid," I roll my eyes.

Looking to the ground, he nods. "It's nothing. She -"

"You really don't have to explain. This... thing will be over soon enough. I just didn't expect you to text other girls while we were fucking around."

"Hadley, I -"

He stops talking when our parents near us. They keep giving each other odd looks, encouraging the other to talk. Finally, Jason caves in, sighing. "We have to go home."

"Why?" Maddox asks, looking as confused as me, I'm sure.

"My work called and they need me back as soon as possible. After having so many days off for the honeymoon, I can't disobey them. I can't risk getting fired. So I told them I'd be home the day after tomorrow," Jason says.

"Which means we have to leave first thing tomorrow morning," my mom adds.

I nod understandingly. "That's fine. I completely understand."

My stomach clenches when I realize that will be the end of mine and Maddox's thing. There's so much to be said and done but that's coming to an end quicker than I thought. I guess our expiration date is earlier than expected. Jason and my mom discuss travel plans as we walk back to the car. Maddox and I keep our distance, being sure not to touch one another.

When we get home, I kiss my mother goodnight before going upstairs. I grab a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for pajamas before going into the bathroom. It's the first night I'm wearing pajamas to bed and it'll be the the first night sleeping alone since we got to Florida.

When I get into bed, I pull the blankets up and close my eyes. "Can I sleep with you?" Maddox asks quietly from behind me.

"Fuck off," I sigh.

"Holy shit, Hadley. We're not even dating. What's so wrong with texting another girl?" he asks, clearly frustrated.

"It's about respect, Maddox," I say, sitting up. "You should respect me enough to be with me and only me while we're together - even if it isn't defined."

"That's bull shit," he rolls his eyes.

"Would you be okay with it if I texted Zach still?" I challenge.

He frowns. "That's different."

I roll my eyes, laughing dryly. "Men are so fucking stupid. It's okay for you guys to do whatever the hell you want but when it comes to women, we have restrictions. We can't do this. We can't do that. All because we don't have a second head between our legs!" I exclaim. "You want to know what's bull shit? The way men treat women. Because every single one of you fuckers has messed with a girls heart at least once. I'm sick of it. I'm fucking glad this thing is over," I huff before laying down.

All I want is Brooke. I need my best friend. Now I feel like shit for not telling her about Maddox and I but she wouldn't understand. I know she wouldn't.

All I want is to curl up next to my best friend and hear her voice. I want to pretend that things are going to go back to normal once we get home but I know they won't. Things can't be normal after everything we've done. How could they?

********************************

VOTE ★ COMMENT ★ FOLLOW