“It won’t be long,” he said as he sat down opposite me. “So, did you manage waking up early okay?”

  “Yes actually,” I mumbled. “It wasn't that hard to be honest with you.”

  “Ha! Sure it wasn't,” he laughed sarcastically.

  I shook my head at him and just let the casual conversation float around before I started asking him about things. During our little talk I was a little surprised that he didn’t mention the Mr. Baker situation after yesterday, seeing as it’s not the sort of thing you forget. I mean it’s his career on the line, unless he’s just trying to not think about it for now. I decided against bringing it up, just in case he didn’t want to be thinking about that.

  “Cole,” I said once our food had arrived. “You said we should get to know each other better so... can I ask you some questions?”

  “Sure,” he said without looking up at me, making me think that he didn’t really want to tell me anything.

  “You know the sort of questions that you ask me when I talk to you at school. Can I ask things like that?”

  “Yes,” he mumbled, still not looking at me.

  “I was wondering, how you told your parents you were gay and... how they reacted about it,” I whispered feeling embarrassed about asking him that.

  I knew it was none of my business and it’s a bit of a personal thing to ask, but I wanted to know so badly. Maybe his parents were like mine, maybe he could help me. Or maybe his life was perfect. God, I want to find out so much about him.

  “I told my mum when I was about your age. She didn’t take it badly but things were different between us after that. When I told my dad, he kicked me out and mum acted like I never told her,” he smiled at me. “I haven’t seen them since then.”

  “They kicked you out? Because you’re gay? That’s the biggest load of bull I’ve ever heard,” I hissed. “What’s wrong with them?”

  “Don't worry about it Zack. I'm over it now, and from their point of view I wasn't even their son anymore, so I understand why they wouldn't want me living with them. It was like I had some type of disease.”

  “Are you telling me you’ve forgiven them?” I asked, sounding a little appalled but I couldn’t help it.

  “Life’s too short to hold grudges,” he whispered.

  I gave him a confused look as he started chuckling. Why would he laugh at that? I mean if I told my mum and dad and they kicked me out, I’d be worked up but I’d get over it. But I'm sure Cole had a nice caring family, so if they suddenly turned on him it probably would have dented his confidence so much he’d struggle to move on from it.

  “What were they like before you told them?” I asked to check that my theory was right.

  “They were great,” he sighed. “Great. Why do you ask?”

  “Oh, erm... I was just curious.”

  He nodded weakly at me and then we both returned to eating our breakfasts, which surprisingly I wasn't struggling with at all.

  “Do you have any other family?” I asked him.

  “A brother. He’s alright, I suppose,” he mumbled. “He’s staying at my house at the moment because his girlfriend kicked him out again.”

  “Typical,” I mumbled staring at him. “What did he do?”

  “He’s not likely to tell me that,” he laughed. “My brother isn't open about things.”