Ambush At East Ridge

"Hey, Endrico?" Sergeant Nighthawk broke the silence, "I notice you don't speak a lot." The conversation that Bluefrost and Whirlwind were having in the back ceased. A few minutes ago, the convoy stopped to rest and get fuel from our supply trucks, and now we were back on the road with Sergeant Nighthawk and I in the front, and Bluefrost and Whirlwind in the back. It was raining hard at the moment.

     "I know, Sergeant, I usually don't say a lot," I said, looking over at him. 

     To the front of us, another humvee lead the convoy. Lieutenant Katie Greystone, who was the daughter of General Westin Greystone, was in the humvee with her squad. She was a native to Tennessee and knew all the safer routes to East Ridge instead of taking the main road there and risking an ambush or running into a minefield. This route she chose was the bumpiest route I've ever been on, but the tanks to the sides of us don't seem to be affected. Lucky tankers.

     "Tell us a little bit about yourself," Petty Officer Third Class Bluefrost told me, "MORE instead of where you were born and raised, like yourself in general."

     "Well, I'm a polf," I spoke, "my dad is a panther and my mom is a wolf." I saw Sergeant Nighthawk glance over at me, looking confused. I don't know if he was confused that I was a hybrid, or confused that he was trying to see if I was mixed with wolf.

     "I can see that," Sergeant Nighthawk said to me, "at first, you looked like a feline from far away and when you got closer to me at the CDC, I looked wolf-like and that kind of confused me."

     "Or a feminine wolf,"Airthro First Class Whirlwind commented.

     "Helena, that was rude!" Bluefrost exclaimed.

     "What? I was just saying that he looked like a feminine wolf!"

     "I don't care, you probably hurt his feelings. Now apologize."

     "You aren't my mom, Bluefrost."

     "Ladies, please chill out," Sergeant Nighthawk told them as he focused on the humvee in front of him. To be honest, I didn't take offense to that comment. I usually get that a lot.

     I took off my kevlar helmet and ruffled my muddy, electric blue mohawk hair, "I get that comment a lot." Everything fell silent again in the vehicle after I placed my helmet back on my head. 

     Whirlwind and Bluefrost went back to talking to each other, mentioning my name a few times. I really didn't care for their conversation, I was too busy taking in the soothing sound of the rain that was hitting the windshield. "Why do you grow out your mohawk that long?" Sergeant Nighthawk asked me as we being to arrive on a road that lead into a neighborhood, "I keep mine cut short."

     "Just preference, Sergeant," I replied, "it's something I've had since I joined the army and I never thought about cutting it short." The wolf nodded his head and focused on the road.

     Whoa, what's going on up there? The lead humvee stopped, getting over to the side of the road. "Whirlwind, contact Lieutenant Greystone to see what's going on," Sergeant Nighthawk also drove off the road, putting the vehicle in park. We were about fifty meters away from the lead vehicle.

     "Typhoon to Tiger-Two-One," Whirlwind talked into the radio attached to the back of Rapier's seat, "What's happening up there?" The radio reminded me of what the radiothros carried during World War II; most likely, there weren't enough of the advanced radios, which resembled house phones, to go around.

     All the other vehicles appeared to have did the same, getting off the road as the M1 Abrams tanks stayed in the middle of the road. "This is Tiger-Two-One," a female voice answered over the radio, "we may have a potential IED about sixty meters in front of us." Are you kidding me? Russians leaving dirty surprises?