Chapter 1 - Haven't Met You Yet

• Dedicated to July 22nd 2011

AN: Dedicated to all_for_nothing for being the first to comment on this story! 

Chapter 1 - Haven't met you yet

Music blasts out of the speakers:

I know that some day it'll all work out. 

You'll make me work, so we can work to work it out.

I promise you kid, that I'll give so much more than I get.

Oh, I just haven't met you yet.

I grab my hairbrush while I sing and dance along to Michael Buble's voice. 

I smile happily. I love dancing. And I love music even more. Music is everything to me. And it's not the singing. I mean, I like to sing too, but that's more of a closed-inside-my-room-where-no-one-can-hear-me-hobby. It's music in general I love. How it can make you feel better, or how you can find a song that expresses exactly what you feel. Music is like air to me. Not one single day can pass by without me listening to at least ten songs. Or one song ten times...

The song fades out. I take a deep breath and slump down on my bed. There's no one else home. I wouldn't have been dancing and singing otherwise. 

After a quick shower, I walk into my room, drying my hair with a towel. It's not a big room, but it's okay. It's just enough room for my big bed, closet, desk, a small couch and the door that's connected to my bathroom. My favorite colors is spread all over the room. White walls, closet and desk. Purple sheets and curtains. Blue couch and decor scattered around. I'm happy my Mum let me decorate it myself when I turned 16. I was getting tired of the red and pink theme I had before. With good reason. I mean, I had that theme for 10 years! No wonder I was embarrassed at having friends over when my room still looked like it had when I was 6!

I sit down at my desk, and turn on my Macbook. But then I remember that I forgot my iPod, so I run downstairs and get it. When I come back up, my screensaver has started. It's just turning from a picture of Taylor Swift to a picture of me, taken a year ago. I smile when I see the nerdy girl in front of me. She has square glasses, dark blond hair and braces. She's shy, almost doesn't speak to any boys and keeps mostly to herself. That was me one year ago. Thank God I'm not her anymore.

After I turned 17, I suddenly decided it was time to change. I remember it clearly. I was listening to Emily Osment's "Average girl", while I looked at myself in the mirror. And I was hit by how much the text seemed to fit me. 

Because what I saw in that mirror was definitively average, if not worse (I know it wasn't that bad, but my confidence at the time equaled zero). And I didn't want to be like that. So I changed. Both on the outside and inside.

I quit glasses and started wearing contacts. I highlighted my hair, making it blonder. I pierced my ears. I started to work out more, earning a better figure. And out of pure luck, it was only a short time after that my braces came of, leaving straight, white teeth behind.

With my new look, my confidence went through the roof, and I started to talk to boys and got more friends than I ever would have imagined. Even though I'm not entirely over my shyness, especially with boys, my life has become a lot better. I smile and laugh much more than I did before. I'm more focused at school. I have more energy. In other words, I'm more happy in general.

A sudden ping from my computer rips me out of my thoughts. I move the mouse and when I look at the screen, I grin. Well, that was a nice interruption. I click on the answer button under the picture of Evelyn. The picture is quickly replaced by her real, gray blue eyes and beautiful smile. Her dark brown hair is sat up in a messy ponytail, just the way I like it.