Chapter 13: One More Troubled Soul

Copyright © 2013 Bree Eischen

~*~

13. One More Troubled Soul

~*~

Truth? The truth is Mom died in a car accident. And how in the hell would Jake know about our mom when we only moved here a month ago and he’s been here his whole life? He knows nothing.”

The two boys were silent. Jake looked down solemnly while Cody shook his head, looking exasperated. Then, out of nowhere, Cody started speaking again.

“Jake, let’s go…Lily, come with me.” Cody grabbed my arm because I knew that he knew that I wouldn’t go willingly. They were both leading me outside.

Though I tried not to show it, I was growing increasingly more freaked out by the second.

My brother and I followed Jake as he led the way out into the night and over to the side of the house where I had found him the night he went…crazy. It was certainly dark enough so that no one could really see who we were, but a street lamp was still able to display our figures and the fact that people were standing there.

“Is this really necessary?” I asked as Cody let go of my hand and stood off to the side. I noticed Jake searching for something—what that was I hadn’t the slightest idea—and the sight of him confused me to no end.

“Yes, it is. We could allow Mom to continue to rest in peace, Lily,” I heard Cody say behind me. I was about to turn around and comment on what my brother had just said when Jake suddenly threw himself on the ground.

“What the—?” My voice abruptly caught in my throat when Jake turned around. He held an average-sized brown rabbit in his hands. It wasn’t struggling at all.

“That’s impossible! How the hell did you—?” Jake’s actions interrupted me again when he bore his sharp, pearly white fangs and sank his teeth into the flesh of the creature. I yelped and stepped away, but somehow, I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him and what he was doing.

When he finished, Jake tossed the rabbit in the grass below him, looking back up at me with those same feral red eyes. As the redness in them died down, blood dripped all down his chin, staining his shirt.

He stepped forward towards me, but I instinctively stepped back, accidentally bumping into Cody.

“Jake won’t hurt us, Lily. He doesn’t drink human blood and he’ll protect us from those who do,” my brother insisted.

“I-I don’t understand…how long have you known about this?”

“Since you met Cam at your party,” Cody began. “Jake was so desperate to get help in order for you to see the truth that he had to tell me and prove this to me first. He figured I would be able to help him get you to believe it, too.”

I looked back and forth between the two guys in front of me. As he wiped the remaining blood off of his face, Jake came closer to me. My brother was sure to keep me from going anywhere.

“Lily, your brother understands how important it is for you to know the truth about everything. There’s much to explain to you right now, and I need you to listen to me and believe everything you hear. Can you promise me that?”

His eyes were oddly dark. They weren’t their usual icy blue hue at all. I figured it was a trick of the light—or lack thereof—but then again, I didn’t think it was really.

I hesitated but still nodded in agreement, most likely appearing extremely wary still. He thanked me and commenced his big explanation. I had to admit that I certainly was intrigued to hear what he had to say even if I was cautious in accepting it.