four*

And I've been sitting at the bottom of this swimming pool for a while now, drowning my thoughts out with sounds.
(In case you don't remember * means it mentions abuse)
***

"Michael! Put me down!" Elle squealed as she was thrown in to the pool. The cool water surrounded her and the small bubbles tickled her as they surrounded her body.

"I did put you down," Michael said smugly.

"Yeah, in the water you dumbass," Elle muttered. Michael rolled his eyes before leaning down at the edge of the pool so that he was next to her.

"You're the dumbass here so sucks to be you," Michael said.

Michael knew automatically that what he had said would strike a nerve in Elle. She had told him about her past and sometimes he liked to use it against her at the most random times. He didn't really need a reason too. He liked to see her upset. It was very sadistic but he liked seeing that she was human.

Michael walked away before Elle could even respond, leaving the girl to her own lonely thoughts.

The girl thought back to her ex-boyfriend that she had dated when she was fifteen years old. She really regretted being with that person. They were abusive and manipulative and they didn't care if Elle was hurt. Hence her getting hurt. Quite often.

His name was Ryan. He was basically the whole schools dream. He was one of the most popular and was two years older than Elle. She cried when he asked her out. She didn't know what to do.

He had always been there for her by being next to her. He'd go to her choir concerts, her dance recitals, and anything family related. He wasn't there emotionally though. He'd get angry at her over anything and would get physical with her if he felt like she need it. Which was often.

Elle had been hospitalized one time. He had held a knife to her throat and hit her multiple times. She had almost suffocated when his hand pressed down onto her throat. He cut off her pony tail while she was sleeping one night because he felt like it. He had used a pocket knife to do so. Elle cherished very little in life but her hair was one of those things. Ryan knew that.

He had pushed her down the stairs once but when anyone asked she said she fell. He liked the feeling of being in control. Elle sometimes saw those traits in Michael but never to the extreme. Ryan was heartless and cold and he was now in jail for almost killing Elle.

The worst thing he had ever done was punch her so hard in the mouth that she had to go to the dentist to have her two front teeth placed in again. That was the day he had almost killed her. It was possibly the roughest thing a fifteen year old could go through and it was the worst thing she had experienced.

Elle didn't realize that the sky had gotten dark and that there were tears rolling down her face. The pool water had gotten cold and she had probably been in the water an hour just thinking. Elle pulled herself out over the edge and walked to the pool reclining chair. She grabbed the towel and walked to the room her and Michael were staying in at the Motel 6. She had a few cat calls as she walked to the elevator. Michael should've been smarter than to make her walk the hallways of a Motel 6 alone later in the evening.

Elle walked into the room and Michael was sitting on the bed, still in his swimsuit but dry.

"Sorry about what I said and leaving you downstairs," Michael said softly.

"It's okay. I still love you," Elle said. She crawled into the bed next to Michael and Michael pulled her on top of him.

"Yeah," he said, allowing Elle to press her lips to his.

Elle buried her face into his chest and turned to see what Michael was watching. They spent the whole night watching The Simpson reruns. Elle was so happy to be with the boy she loved and Michael couldn't have cared less.

***

Update! Sorry it took almost a month but I've been busy and I probably won't be updating again until after November 14th because I'll be super busy. Thanks for all the love and support with this book. I love you guys. Xx

~malumwritings