Prologue

Rawlins, Wyoming
Memorial Hospital
June 9, 2000
15:23 MST

The baby was born, she was a very pretty one, no one could have ever predicted. The beautiful baby girl had olive toned skin and piercing blue eyes, she looked at you like she knew all your past secrets. She was named Pouri Daria Hunter.

Rawlins
Hunter Home
October 27, 2003
21:37 MST

As a bed time story, Pouri's mother, Alma recounted her wedding.
"I remember that, mommy."
Her mother laughed, her daughter couldn't possibly know- she wasn't even born when Chuck and Alma were wedded, wasn't even thought of. To Alma's surprise, Pouri was able to tell exactly how the cake looked. Thinking she must have seen it in a picture somewhere, Alma shrugged it off. But then Pouri went on to describe the photographer himself, the photographer wasn't in any pictures.

Rawlins
Kare Bear Day Care
March 14, 2004
13:33 MST

"Well as you know, Mr. Hunter," The stuck-up day care teacher spoke. "Today is pi day. And Pouri has just been a handful all day." Chuck Hunter looked down at his kid. Pouri looked down at her Velcro fastened shoes, her black hair shading her eyes.
"What happened, P?"
"She lied and-" The teacher started.
"Excuse me, I asked my daughter, not you." he knelt so he was at eye level with Pouri. "What happened?"
The blue eyed girl looked into her father's same blue eyes. "I just told the class all the numbers of pi I knew, a-and that I was sorry for Addison's loss."
"What's the harm in that?" Chuck looked up at the teacher.
"Well that she completely lied and made another little girl cry." The teacher rolled her eyes. "A little girl can't possibly know thirty digits of pi."
"Twenty-four."
Chuck looked from the teacher, to his daughter, and back again. "Did you check?"
"What?"
Chuck sighed, he hated repeating himself, especially to people like her. "Did you check if her answer was right?"
"N-no. But, I wouldn't have to, she can't even tie her shoes, how can she know the digits of pi?"
Chuck would never dare hit a woman, but this lady was pushing it. He stood and pulled an old receipt from his pocket and pulled the handy pencil from his ear, he wrote all the digits of pi he knew. And handed it to the teacher. "P can you say those digits for me, all the ones you can remember."
Pouri took a deep breath and began. "3.14159265358979323846264."
"That can't be right..." the teacher stood dumbfounded. On the paper Chuck had written those same numbers, Pouri learned it from him, he only knew Twenty-four digits, he learned it for pi day back in elementary school, he got third place for remembering the most digits. Pouri's gift was getting stronger.
"So are you calling me a liar? Check for yourself if you want, go online, we told you time and time again, Pouri was special, you never took the time to find that out for yourself." he spat. "Come on, P." he scooped his daughter up and shifted her to his back. He turned to walk out the door.
"Wait! But she still made a young girl cry!"
Chuck rolled his eyes but stopped and turned his head. " And you made a little girl feel bad by unjustly calling her a liar, who's worse?" he proceeded to to walk out the door and to his Chevy. He strapped the girl in her car seat in the back of the vehicle then got in the driver's seat and started the engine. "You remembered that from me , didn't you?" he asked his daughter, she nodded.
"Can we get ice cream?" she asked.
Chuck laughed, his mother took him out for ice cream after school that day. "Of course, P."

Rawlins
Hunter Home
June 11, 2004
24:03 MST

The Hunters had gone through many babysitters, but they finally thought this one was the one.
"You have our work and cell phone numbers?" Chuck asked.
"Yes." The girl replied.
" And my email?" Alma added.
"Yes Ma'am."
"Don't be afraid to call us, we should be back before dinner, but if you get hungry there are lunchables and chips in the kitchen." Alma instructed.
Chuck kissed Pouri on the forehead and went to the door, Alma did the same."Thank you really, Mackenzie, our job called us in unexpectedly, you really are a life saver." Chuck sighed as he opened the door and walked out to the porch with Alma, Mackenzie stood in the doorway with Pouri next to her, holding her hand.
"No problem, really, me and Pouri get along really well."
"We're glad." Alma smiled as Chuck pulled her into the car on the driveway.
"Be safe!" Mackenzie called to the rushing couple. When the car was out of sight she closed the door and led Pouri to the couch in the living room. "So what do you want to do, Pouri?"
"Al-ge-bra?" she broke the word down, not really familiar with it, other times they worked on reading but Mackenzie mentioned she was taking an algebra class over the summer.
"You want to help me with my homework?" the brunette babysitter asked and Pouri nodded. Mackenzie smiled and got out the worksheets from her book bag. Chuck and Alma found out that Mackenzie had a photographic memory and told her that Pouri had almost the same thing, Mackenzie accepted the explanation and never asked any deep questions when she found Pouri knew something she shouldn't.
"Y equals m times x plus b?" Mackenzie asked the four year old.
"Isn't that slow?" Pouri asked, in her past vision she heard Mackenzie say something like that in a room with other students like her.
"Almost," Mackenzie smiled. "Slope."

Rawlins
Hunter Home
August 5, 2005
20:54 MST

Mackenzie had gone home crying and Pouri sat alone while people in uniforms looked around her house. One woman came up to talk to the girl.
"Ms. Hunter?" the officer asked and Pouri nodded. The officer knelt at Pouri's level and looked her in the eyes, green looking back at blue. "I'm officer McRoye, and I'm sorry to tell you your mommy and daddy aren't coming back. I'm afraid they have passed away."
Pouri froze and her eyes widened. Before she knew it tears were gushing out her eyes and her small body shook. "It's all my fault." she whispered before her shoulders slumped and her head drooped looking at her laced shoes, blurry from her tears.