16. Tricks and Talks

Start from the beginning

Harriet grit her teeth to keep from crying out as one of them jostled her shoulder, and she could feel Leopold's concerned gaze on her, but neither of them said a word. If they made a mistake, she would be in a lot more trouble than she was currently in.

The way back to the camp had been a long uncomfortable walk filled with Leopold answering questions from the medics and Harriet attempting to mime information to them. By some miracle, she was able to relay that Garreth was alive and out there when they went down a list to see if she had seen any men in the last minutes of the battle. Another medic was dispatched shortly to go and find him.

By the time they had returned to the camp, the adrenaline had left her completely and she was left only with terrible fatigue and pain from her shoulder and bruised ribs. Multiple times she caught Leopold looking at her, but every time she looked back at him, he never looked away. It was like he was trying to silently ask her if she could hold out just a little longer.

Soon they were at Leopold's tent, as he had insisted that she come as well when the medics had suggested she return to her own. Harriet had watched as they had tended to Leopold's injuries, averting her eyes and trying to keep her focus on one of the maps in the tent when they had to undress him in order to tend to his leg. As soon as they were done and Leopold was under the covers of his cot, Leopold ordered them from the tent, saying he needed to speak with "Mr. Greenfellow," and in moments they were alone.

"For the sake of eavesdroppers, please secure the tent flap Mr. Greenfellow," Leopold said, motioning with a hand to the opening of the tent. Harriet moved as quickly as she could to follow his orders. Once that was done, she slowly turned to face him.

From where he sat propped up against pillows, he was frowning at her, his eyebrows furrowed. He was looking at her as if she was an especially difficult puzzle, and Harriet shifted from foot to foot where she stood.

"Please remove your helmet, Harriet, and take a shirt from there." Leopold pointed to a chest by his desk. Harriet felt her cheeks began to heat up. "You can change out of your armor behind that divider."

"Sir-"

"Leopold, Harriet."

"Leopold," Harriet stressed. "My shoulder is a bit worse for wear..." she trailed off. "I don't know if I'm going to be able to erm- get the armor off without assistance." Leopold stared at her for a moment, before beckoning her over.

"Take a seat on the side of the cot." Harriet did so awkwardly more than a little aware of Leopold's leg less than two inches away. Leopold reached up and began to undo the shoulder straps of the armor, his hands working fast to try and spare them both of the obvious tension and embarrassment they were subjecting themselves to. "There, all done," Leopold said, dropping his hands, and Harriet moved away from the cot at top speed, darting behind the divider after muttering a quiet "thank you".

Even with the removal of the obstacle of the shoulder straps, Harriet had to clench her teeth together to keep from crying out as she removed her armor. She tried to do it quickly, but with every movement, her shoulder hurt and her bruised ribs throbbed. Finally, she was able to change into the shirt. Summoning her courage, Harriet stepped out from behind the divider, moving over to the cot when Leopold beckoned her back over.

Seating herself on the side of the cot and facing Leopold, she was surprised when he directed her to turn around and even more so when she felt gentle hands touch her shoulder. She tried to hold back a hiss, but failed miserably, and she felt the hands become even more careful in their touch.

Leopold began to tend to her shoulder, and Harriet tried not to slouch and relax under his care. She berated herself when she nearly leant backwards. Yes, she was tired, but she needed to be on her guard, even if Leopold seemed to be truly helping her.