Chapter Twenty-Six

| Hiro's POV |

"Buddy, you look sick!" Hiro exclaims at the robot that is fully decked out in the red armor. "Wait here. I'm going to get my suit on. Then we'll show everyone." Hiro changes in one of Fred's many huge bathrooms. He runs back outside and says, "What do you think, Baymax? Pretty sick, huh?"

"Pretty sick," you agree.

Hiro turns around and sees you walking towards him. You're wearing your suit. The dark orange, while not being the most flattering of colors, looks amazing on you. Hiro's cheeks heat up. "Wow," he breathes.

"What?" You raise your eyebrows.

Hiro shakes his head. "N-Nothing," he replies. He clears his throat and says, "We should probably go get the others. Are they ready?"

"Yeah," you say. "They're busy freaking out over their new gear. Honey Lemon is totally in love with her chemical purse."

"That's awesome," he says, "But what will be even more awesome are the looks on their faces when they see the new and improved Baymax!"

You nod and smile. "Only you could make a marshmallow look like a menacing robot, Hiro Hamada."

Hiro shrugs. "Hey, I'm meant for this stuff. Come on, let's get everyone." Hiro leads the way to the courtyard where all of his friends are examining their gear. He smiles. "Guys, I have to show you something." Everyone stands up and follows him until Baymax is in view. "Introducing the new and improved Baymax, 2.0!"

Fred gasps from inside his suit. "He's glorious."

"Show 'em what you got, buddy," Hiro urges. Baymax looks at Hiro and tilts his head in confusion. Hiro smiles patiently. "The fist! Show them the fist!"

Baymax stands up tall and holds his arm out. He clenches his fist, only to say, "Baha-la-la-la-la!"

Hiro rolls his eyes and laughs. "No, not that. You know? The thing? The other thing?"

Baymax repeats his actions, but this time, his fist shoots out like a rocket. It smashes into one of the beautiful statues in Fred's garden.

"Rocket fist makes Freddie so happy!" Fred says cheerfully.

Hiro nods. "That's only one of his new upgrades." He climbs up on Baymax's back and smiles. "Wings!" he orders. Baymax's wings slide out. "Thrusters!" Baymax slowly rises off of the grass.

"No way," Fred gasps.

"This is insane!" You exclaim. Hiro smiles down at you. "How did you do this?"

"You're talking to an ex bot fighter and an ex bot builder," Hiro says. "I can build anything."

"Apparently," you say.

Hiro holds his hand out. "Do you want to try it out?"

You gasp. "Really?"

Hiro laughs. "Yeah. I'm asking you, aren't I? Come on, ___. It's safe."

"Sure," you reply. You place your hand in his. Hiro hoists you up into Baymax. He braces his knee on the side of your left leg. He holds you underneath him without pressing his body against you. Your fingers nervously grasp onto the smooth red metal of Baymax's suit. "I-I feel like I'm going to fall."

"You're not going to fall," Hiro assures you. "Okay, Baymax-"

"I fail to see how flying makes me a better healthcare companion," Baymax states.

"I fail to see how you fail to see that it's awesome!" he exclaims. "Full thrust!" And suddenly, Baymax shoots up into the air. Hiro's smile spreads out into a full out grin as the buildings below get smaller and smaller. Baymax tilts forward until he's flying with his stomach towards the ground. Hiro lifts himself up until he's sitting on his knees. He doesn't let go of you; afraid that if he does, you'll fall right off. He doesn't say this, however. Instead, he tugs lightly on your elbow until you're on your knees beside him. He keeps one arm around your waist and the other on one of the magnetic holdings on Baymax's back. Baymax flies towards the San Fransokyo bridge, dodging cars and buses. He zips upwards towards the top of the bridge and lands safely on a flat surface. Hiro moves his hand around you and latches it on the other magnetic holder to keep you in place. "Wow. That's enough flying for today. What do you say?"

"Your neurotransmitter levels are rising," Baymax states.

Hiro cringes at the sound of it. "Which means. . . what?"

"The treatment is working," he clarifies. Suddenly, Baymax tilts sideways.

You gasp and cower into Hiro's side. "Baymax!" Hiro shouts as the robot falls towards the water. He swallows his fears of falling and lets go of one of the magnetic holds to grab you. You relax against him as Baymax's flying slows down. Hiro looks down at you and smiles. His heartbeat thuds in his chest as you slide up the robot and throw your arms out like they're wings.

"This is amazing!" You shout, tilting your head back. Hiro sits back and admires your enthusiasm at this until Baymax softly lands on one of the blimps.

"Okay," he says breathlessly. He slides off of the robot and lands on the surface. He looks up at you. Your legs are wrapped around the robot, your arms clutching Baymax's helmet. "___, you're going to have to get off."

"I-I don't know," you object. "I feel much safer here."

Hiro shakes his head. "Come on, ___."

"O-Okay," you reply shakily. You slowly remove your arms and legs and fall back. Hiro automatically moves forward to catch you. His arms hook under yours and bring you back to your feet. His eyes warm when they meet yours. "T-Thanks," you breathe.

Hiro can't find the ability to speak as he stares at you. Your suit matches the sunset behind you, highlighting your hair, and making your eyes pop with brightness. Hiro has never had an actual crush before, but he isn't even sure if that's what this is. "No problem," he forces out. He breaks away from you and keeps only your hand. He guides you around Baymax and sits down. You sit down beside him and let go of his hand. Baymax takes a seat as well.

"That. . ." You shake your head.

Hiro nods. "That was. . ."

"Sick," Baymax finishes. You and Hiro both look up at the robot. "It is just an expression."

Hiro laughs. "That's right, buddy," he says proudly.

"I'm never taking the bus again," you add.

"Me neither," Hiro agrees.

It's silent for a moment. Then, Baymax says, "Your emotional state has improved." Hiro blinks. He could feel it. He was actually happy as he flew with you and Baymax. Every moment that he spent by your side, and even Baymax's, seemed to lift his spirits. For the first time since Tadashi's death, he was happy. "I can deactivate if you say that you are satisfied with your care."

Hiro leans forward to look at Baymax. "What? No, I don't want you to deactivate," he says. He thinks of what life would be like without Baymax. He'd have you and his other friends, sure, but the absence of Tadashi would be everywhere. He feels comforted when Baymax is around, almost as if Baymax carries Tadashi's spirit with him at all times. "Besides," we says, his voice turning serious and cold, "we need to catch that guy. So fire up your super sensor." Baymax stands and scans the city.

"I have found a match on that island," Baymax points to the small piece of land floating in the bay.

"Akuma Island?" you whisper.

Hiro nods. "Alright, buddy. Let's get to work."