The Middle: 3

my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone concerning everything that's happened friday and yesterday, especially with the events in paris.

i thought maybe today would be a good day to finally post this long overdue halloween chapter of silence. maybe itll cheer someone up. idk.

i love you all very much, and im so thankful for each and every one of you who reads my stories.

quick shoutout to hannah (Sup3rfruitPrettyMuch) for being the best person ever ilysfm

and to the rest of you, ily. i hope you enjoy this sorta long chapter (oops).

///

Scott slung an arm around Mitch's waist and caused the tiny brunette to jump as he appeared from the bathroom.

"Do you know what day it is?!" Scott practically yelled in Mitch's ear.

Mitch winced away before nodding at him with a strained smile. He was excited, but his ear was ringing now and he couldn't quite look happy enough to convince his boyfriend.

"Come on, Mitchi, you've gotta know!" He was so loud this morning.

Mitch spun himself out from Scott's grip and nodded again, being able to smile regularly now that his head wasn't underneath a loudspeaker.

Of course Mitch mouthed, and Scott pretended to sigh in relief.

"Oh, thank GOD. I would've had to kick you out if you hadn't known! Halloween is my favorite. holiday. EVER."

Mitch raised one sharp eyebrow.

"Sorry about the energy, by the way. I definitely had too much coffee yesterday."

Mitch's eyes narrowed.

"Sorry, sorry." Scott's voice had gone down to a sheepish mutter now, and Mitch gave him a satisfied smirk.

"Anyway," Scott said, ducking into the kitchen, "I was thinking, since it's Halloween and all, maybe we should have Kirstin over! We could have, like, a mini party!"

He looked over to his boyfriend for approval, and Mitch nodded enthusiastically.

"Okay! When do you think I should call her? Now? Or should we decorate? Or bake? Or something else to prepare?"

Mitch made a 'calm down' gesture to settle Scott before holding up one finger, indicating that he wanted to call Kirstin first.

"Alright, I'll get on it." Scott pulled out his phone and clicked on the only contact he ever talked to.

They both waited apprehensively for her to pick up.

After three rings, they heard a very tired sounding, "Hello?"

"Hi Kirst! It's Scott and Mitch," Scott answered enthusiastically.

"I know it's you, Scott, it says your name on the call." Kirstin sounded irritated for some reason.

"Oh. Right." There was an awkward pause before Mitch nudged him, reminding him to ask about the party.

"Oh! Kirst! How would you like to come over later for a Halloween party? A mini party, since it'd just be the three of us, but a fun party nonetheless!" Mitch made his laughing face, and Scott poked his nose with his finger, making the brunette's smile wider.

"Scotty, that sounds like a lot of fun, but I've got so many appointments today and I don't think I can cancel...I'm really sorry."

Mitch's smile fell, and Scott's heart broke a tiny bit. "Oh, that's okay then. I-we understand. I hope you have a good Halloween anyway. Um, just out of curiosity...who is it that's coming in later?"