Chapter 7

Sophie was standing in the main lobby when I got to work the next morning. Horrified by the thought of having to deal with her before downing my first cup of coffee, I dodged behind a pack of marketing execs that I’d seen around the building a few times. One turned to give me a curious look, but the rest were too engrossed in their discussion to spare me a glance. The character idea sprang into my head as I peered through the gaps that formed between the men as they walked.  

While Sophie stood rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet, patiently scanning the face of each person who walked past her, I became Parker Jennings, the greatest undercover intelligence agent to ever work for America. After singlehandedly ending the Cold War with unparalleled wit and diversionary tactics, I went into retirement, only to be called in by my former handler to work an urgent mission. We’d agreed that this would be my final job and the stakes were high—screw up, and nuclear war was guaranteed.  

I waited for Sophie to look down at her phone before quickly stepping around my human shield and hurriedly making my way towards a group crowded near the elevators. I glanced at Sophie from the corner of my eye and saw that she was typing something out on her screen, none the wiser to my presence. Was there any question as to how I got the nickname Lightfoot during my first assignment? I had perfect timing, too, as the elevator doors slid open as soon as I reached them. I tried to wriggle my way past the rest of the herd to secure a spot in the cab but all my efforts earned me were annoyed glares from the people who’d been waiting. As the last person from the original line slipped inside, I eyed the limited remaining space and decided to go for it.

As soon as I’d set one foot over the threshold, a voice called out from behind me, “Can you hold the elevator?”

I looked over my shoulder, planning on giving the person an apologetic look as I made my way upwards to safety, and my nerve disappeared instantly. Waddling towards me was a woman whose stomach distended so far that she had to be expecting a set of blue whales. I sighed, stepping back out of the elevator, and miserably stuck out an arm to hold the door for her. She looked up at me gratefully with a nervous smile.

“Are you sure?” She asked, not stopping as she joined the people already inside the elevator. “You were here first,”

“Yeah, go ahead.” I let my arm fall to my side as the doors to my escape plan closed in my face. Maybe that’s why agents weren’t allowed to come back whenever they felt like it; too much time off-duty made even the best of us soft.

I flinched when a hand gently touched my shoulder.

Rest in peace, Agent Jennings, I thought wistfully.

“Good morning,” Sophie said cheerfully, a broad smile plastered on her face.

“Hi, Sophie,” I said halfheartedly, trying—and I suspected failing—to mirror her expression. Yet, if she noticed that I was less than thrilled to see her, her face betrayed nothing.

“How are you?” She asked, reaching past me to push the elevator’s call button. “I can’t believe I almost missed you, I’ve been waiting here for, like, thirty minutes.”

“Oh, really? That’s so funny, I didn’t even see you,” I lied flatly, while silently resenting my mother for her constant reminder of, ‘Ladies first,’ during my youth.

Sophie shrugged and then furrowed her eyebrows anxiously. “Did you get my note?”

“Yes, how could I have missed it? Hidden Post-Its are the best form of communication, after all.”

“It’s not as if I had a better place to put it, Parker.” Sophie wrinkled her nose and chided, “Frankly, I don’t know how you find anything back in your office, especially when your desk is such a mess.”