Dream Catch Me - Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath, breathing in the sweet smell of freshly baked pastries and strong coffee. No one looked up when I entered and that was just the way I liked it, being under the radar. I dug into my backpack and fished out my old worn wallet, unzipping it and gathering the loose change I had saved in case of an emergency. Obviously a couple of spare coins wasn't going to get me out of a 'real' emergency, but this was the case in which I had saved them for. I quickly ordered a cup of coffee before walking to a lounge setting near the back of the shop. The couch and chairs were matching, a grey woollen fabric with wooden legs. I sat down on the left of the couch which was facing a large pice of artwork on brick wall at the back of the shop. When the waiter brought me my coffee he smiled at me, recognising a new face in the early hours of the morning.

The coffee definitely warmed me up, and soon I gained feeling of my fingers and toes. I sat there in the shop for 2 hours reading my book and listening to my iPod, oblivious to the people exiting and entering the coffee shop.

So I got quite a fright when a figure entered my vision holding a cup of coffee and trying to get my attention. I pulled the bud from my ear and looked up to be met with the eyes of my geography teacher. Mr. Hunter's green eyes never ceased to amaze me, well not yet anyway.

It was only then as I came back to reality after losing myslef in the words ont he page and the lyrics in my ear did I realise how busy the coffee shop was. While it wasn't bustling, the small shop had enough people in it to fill in nearly every seat, except for the ones next to me in the lounge corner.

"Jane? Right?" Mr. Hunter said, bringing my attention back to him. Without waiting for a reply he asked, "Do you mind if I sit here? The other seats are taken, and I've got to have my morning coffee."

I nodded yes and he sat down next to me on the couch. Not directly next to me but on the opposite end of the couch. With his precense in close proximity to me I started to overheat. I had to take my jacket off as the coffe had done an amazing job in warming me up, and now the heater's in this place were making me dizzy. I closed my eyes, trying to clear the black spots that were forming in my vision from my excessive body heat. Deciding a drink of water would be a good idea, I reached down into my bag for my water bottle, except in the process forgetting about last nights incident and the effect on my body.

I had only noticed the pain when I heard a gasp to my right. A gasp can never be good. It means surprises, or fear. Neither of which I enjoyed at all. I quickly pulled my jumper down which had ridden up when I took my jacket off, as if I was trying to make him forget what he had just seen. No such luck, of course.

"A-are you okay? What happened?" he asked. The one thing I have noticed since running into him yesterday was the amount of stuttering he does. Was it natural? Or is he constantly scared or creeped out when I'm around him?

I couldn't meet his eyes, so I looked at my hands, which inadvertently brought his attention to my blistered burn, that had now turned a deep red colour with the exception of the slightly yellowy orange blisters. I heard him mutter an "Oh my god" under his breath and felt him move closer to me. And that was his mistake, I may have even stayed there if he hadn't come any closer but he crossed the line of my personal space.

I quickly stood up trying not to wince from the bruises. I looked to his face which only reflected worry and and pity. I didn't need his pity. I never got any from anyone my whole life and I certainly didn't need any now.

In a steady voice I reassured him, "I'm fine.. I tripped and fell on the hot stove..." I knew the story didn't really make sense and he knew there was a high possibility that I was lying to him to get him off my back, but he seemed to accpet this answer. Although I didn't give him enough time before I grasped my bag with my good hand, which was thankfully my writing hand and swiftly exited the coffee shop.

Mr. Hunter couldn't have cared that much if he didn't make an effort to come after me, which was just as well because I don't know what I would've done if he had caught up with me. Not changing my pace I walked rapidly to school, still early and ahead of my normal schedule. I should really thank Alex, I have clearly dodged a late when I walk through the gate as very few students were miling about the school grounds.

It was only 45 minutes to the bell and I wandered the corridor slowly to my first period class. A door opened behind me and some clacking shoes exit the room. I heard them walk all the way down the corridor behind me but the door didn't close. Curious, I turned back to come face to face with Mr. Lewis.

He saw me move and immediately narrowed his eyes before a smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth.

"Just the person I wanted to see! Miss.. ah.. whatever your name is... please. Come and see me in my office," his cold voice made me shiver.

This couldn't be good.