Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Trina hummed on the other end. "Yes, she gets like that when she feels out of control."

"Out of control?"

"Yeah, she's a control freak, surely you knew that by now."

"Well, yeah but still," Jade protested.

"Listen, Jade, you can't take what she says personally. Trust me on this, you mean the world to her. It's rare to see her as enamored with a person as she is with you and... despite everything... you make her happy. Don't let this silly argument ruin everything, okay? Believe it or not, I actually like seeing my lil' sis happy."

Jade smiled and was surprised to notice that she felt better. "Thanks Trina, you've actually helped me."

"Always the tone of surprise," the girl teased on the other end. "Oh, and tell Tori to call me some time! I know she must be angry with me-"

"She is," Jade interrupted. Trina growled slightly.

"Yes, thank you, I didn't need you to agree with me so quickly."

"Sorry," Jade cackled.

"I can see you're very sorry," Trina said sarcastically. Jade could practically hear the eye-roll. "Anyway, I know my sister is angry but she'll come around, I know it. Just tell her that I'm waiting for her call, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll let her know. Thanks again, Trina."

"Anytime. Good luck with Tori, Jade."

Jade hung up and smiled despite herself. Maybe Trina wasn't as bad as she thought. It seemed that moving out of home had done the girl some good. Jade made a mental note to let Tori know.

To her surprise, her phone started ringing almost as soon as she set it down. Weird. Jade picked it up and answered, feeling confusion settle in her body when she heard people's voices in the background. It reminded her of... a hospital.

"Jade?"

It was Andre.

"Andre? What's going on?"

"Something... something's happened," his voice broke. "We're at the hospital and-"

"The hospital?" Jade exclaimed, her hunch coming true. "Is Tori okay?"

"It's not Tori..." Andre started sobbing on the other end and Jade was shocked into stillness. The boy never cried. "It's Beck. H-he overdosed."

Jade swallowed and shook her head. "I want to talk to Tori."

"Y-you can't. She's under care because she... she passed out and she's still unconscious."

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

Jade hung up and sat there for a moment, unable to think, breathe, move. This couldn't be happening. Her ex-boyfriend tried to kill himself and Jade did nothing. She did nothing!

"Oh God," she moaned. As much as she wanted to break down, she knew she couldn't. She had to get to the hospital again and be there for her friend. She had to be there for Tori.

Jade wiped her eyes and grabbed her car keys, rushing out of the house. Keep it together, keep it together. Starting the car, she drove out of the driveway and headed for the hospital. Jade could afford going over the speed limit and knew she'd be there in ten minutes. Keep it together, keep it together.

However, she barely kept it together and by the time she pulled into the hospital's parking lot, Jade was almost hyperventilating. The walk into the waiting room felt like a marathon. Her heart was racing and her palms were sweating.