5

Alaska to Russia in under an hour. Nick was sitting in the back of a boat, attempting to stay warm in his layered hoodies.

"I know it's super risky getting you across the border, but you seem like you need it." The captain sighed, her hair whipping around her shoulders.

Nick nodded, too cold to even think of saying anything.

"I'm sure someone can take care of you over there. As long as you have a passport and a sense of humor, you can get out of anything."

Nick nodded again.

"Hey, uh, before you go, take this." The captain removed her beanie and placed it in Nick's frozen hands.

"Thanks."

"Anytime, dude. I can come back whenever you need me."

Nick stepped onto the Russian shore, barely being able to see Alaska through the blizzard that was coming in.

"Passport?" Someone behind him asked.

"Uh, yeah, here."

"You're from far away."

"Yeah."

"Is this legal?"

"What?"

"Foreign exchange?"

"Uh, no." Nick looked around uncomfortably.

"Have fun then."

Nick was left alone, facing a field of snow and shattered dreams. The passport check guy was back at his stand, waiting for the few people who would ever cross this border.

Well, I guess there's only one way.

Nick sighed, walking towards any signs of civilization.

•••

"We've lost him. We've completely lost him." Alex sighed, trying his best not to cry.

"You did everything you could, Alex. Sometimes flights leave for Alaska and you can't catch them." Bob smiled warmly.

"No. We were just about to get to him. And now he's caught in a blizzard somewhere..."

"Alaska's big, Alex. Just because it's snowing somewhere doesn't mean it's snowing everywhere."

"Whatever."

•••

Nick stumbled further into the field, and after around 20 minutes of walking, he found some sort of civilization. It was a town that was just a tiny speck on the horizon. He would have to walk for miles to get to it. Nick was also conveniently exhausted. He hadn't slept in two days and the time zones were messing with him. He continued walking for around a half hour, and then collapsed in the snow. He just couldn't go any further, even if he tried.

•••

"You okay, kid?"

Nick opened his eyes to see that it was dark out, and that two Russian guys wearing dad sweaters were standing over him.

"That looks bad... He looks sick."

"Yeah, he can't even answer!"

"We should get him to a hospital, Klav."

"I think we should just take him back for now, Valentin. Maybe he'll wake up later."

Nick wanted to say something, but he had discovered that he was completely paralyzed.

"Let's take him back." Valentin decided, picking Nick up out of the snow.

"Yes, he needs help."