Chapter 23

After the monumental event of finally having Brigit admit that she cared for him, Griffin left her in his cabin, to write down any more information she could recall that would be useful to him. She still didn't know what his job was. But she could remember a lot more useful information, similar to what she had given him before, now that she wasn't so angry with him. While she did that, Griffin decided to have a quick chat with Reed about the procedure for departure that he had already talked over with Cuthbert and Palmer. He found Reed and Ayah walking back from the hospital, after returning the lab equipment he had been using to help solve Eddie's murder. Unfortunately for Eddie, a lot of people had forgotten about him over the last few days but not Griffin. He still remembered having met him on a job years ago when he had been working with a private stable. He had used his considerable skills to cook the books and cover up the illegal selling and reselling of stud horses.

"You look different. Feeling better now that we're just one day from port?" Reed wondered, surprising Griffin with the mention that he looked different. He didn't much feel like anything had changed, except that he and Brigit were no longer pretending to hate each other.

"Yes actually. You look like you're all ready to go? I just wanted to thank you for not interfering." Griffin admitted graciously, knowing that Reed could so easily have made his job difficult and not let him be alone with Brigit for one minute never mind a few days. He and Ayah had been charming companions on the trip and he appreciated that they had never complained, or expected special treatment. "It's been very helpful having you take care of my little problem. Have you figured out what drug he used?" He asked curiously, unable to remember if he had previously asked that question or not, but knowing that Reed would tell him anyway, even if he had told him before. His head was in the clouds and he wasn't really thinking straight, but he knew that Reed would always keep him on track and couldn't help but thank him for taking care of Eddie's murder.

"From what we could figure out it was an overdose of aconitine, an analgesic and antipyretic, producing cardiac arrest." Reed answered, sounding very professional and as if he knew exactly what he was talking about. Really, he was just rhyming off what it said in the medical book he had checked. All the symptoms matched and the letters matched those on the partial label they had found. It was the best match, but they all knew that once the authorities got hold of Eddie's body, they would find out if there was any evidence to be got from his blood, depending on if the poison used could last so long.

"Is Brigit alright?" Ayah couldn't stop herself from asking, presuming, unlike her husband, that the change in Griffin was due to a possible flame between himself and Brigit sparking alight. He looked far too happy for it to be concerned with business. He had love on his mind and that was that. She wouldn't listen to anyone's arguments or conjectures because she knew that look when she saw it. She'd seen it in Joanne, Molly, Gideon and her own husband, so she could see it in Brigit and Griffin without even having to try. It didn't surprise her in the least.

"Brigit is being handled with care, I promise." He vowed with a faint smile. It was just the kind of thing a man in love would say when he had finally stopped the woman he loved from fighting with him.

"And once we come into port?" She inquired gently, wondering if things would progress beyond his current job, when he needed information from her. Or if Brigit would suddenly change her attitude again to fit the current situation. Reed looked at her disapprovingly, as if she was interrogating Griffin but he appreciated the question for the concern and romantic interest in which it was asked.

"She'll accompany me to conclude my business and then she'll be set free to go wherever she wants to go." He was earnest in reply but for a moment or two he couldn't tell if the look Ayah gave him was of support or disapproval. He could never read her very well and yet she seemed to know exactly what he was thinking before he had even started thinking it. It confounded him and he was relieved to find that Brigit was much easier to get to know. And with the necessary thanks given, he returned to his current job, letting everyone know how the departure from the ship would be undertaken. Griffin left Reed and Ayah to go back to their cabin, while he proceeded with his work, unaware that Ayah was looking after him and discussing his relationship with Brigit.