Chapter Twenty-Five

Harry felt as if Lucy shared everything about her, no more secrets to keep, and yet he hadn't shared his. Of course, for no reason, he felt his secrets were more important to keep, as if she could share them with the whole world. Lucy could if she wanted to, if she intended to, but from what Harry saw from Lucy, she never would do it. She wouldn't speak ill of him and his secrets would be safe with her. And though his secrets weren't like Lucy's, he wanted to hide them all the same. Still, Harry knew if he wanted to prove that this relationship was worth it, just for a month, he needed to share his secrets.

To not to be innocent, both were well aware they would have no relationship out of the dry heat. They would probably never speak to each other again or see each other again. They could share what they liked here, knowing nothing would ever be talked about again.

Perhaps, they were both looking for a relationship with another human that was heavy and swallowing, but both of their lives were already that. It wasn't best to bring another human being into the mix. It was an unspoken agreement, really, they would have this consuming relationship while here. It would be forgotten when they left.

Harry sat down across from Lucy, having the space between them, both sitting across on their beds. For several moments there was silence, and Lucy let it hang in the dense air, all because Harry was trying to find his words.

When he spoke, Lucy listened. Sometimes her eyes would light up with a question, which she didn't ask as his words flowed. Harry could tell she had a question, if not questions, because there would be a new energy within herself. Her back would be a little straighter and her face would be a little softer. As she listened, Lucy was almost edging off her bed, leaning forward so she might hear better. Every time she did this, Harry would try to speak a little louder and a little clearer. There was no winner in the endless battle of listening and talking when both comprehended what was in front of them.

It was odd to Harry when Lucy had rather no judgment in her eyes, even when it came down to his partying, like this didn't bother her. She only listened. In fact, she never had judgment written about her, as if she knew the secrets of the world. As well as nothing ever surprised her, whatever he said, as if she had heard it all.

Harry relaxed back on his bed upon having said everything. Lucy still waited.

"What?" he asked.

"There's stuff you're not saying."

"Like what?" he asked, his voice going tight.

"You told me everything, Harry, like it was from tabloid or a news headline. You didn't tell me anything in your own voice, but how it should be phrased if it was in newspaper."

"You've read tabloids?"

"I was friends with a lot of girls, and guess who there favorite Prince Charming is?"

"Me."

"No, some guy from Sweden." Lucy shrugged. "Don't get me wrong, Harry, I learned a lot about you now. And I thank you for sharing with me. But you need to use your own voice." She inched forward on the cot, as if to tell a secret. "Never be silenced."

Harry nodded. "Lucy, I can't take you on a date here--"

"You can't take me on a date anywhere," she corrected.

Agreeing, he went on, "But I want to show you what I can do...."

"Let's keep it child-appropriate."

Rocking back, he paused, a smirk crawling up his face. "I wasn't thinking like that, but, Lucy... this might be a personal question."

"I think we're far past that."

Harry cleared his throat. "Are you a virgin?"

"No, and I'm guessing you aren't either," she finished, and Harry guessed Jake. "But, Harry, neither of us are looking for that, and you know that. I don't know what your skills are, but I know I won't be impressed. Treat me with respect, like an equal, and then we might actually have something. But you keep you playing with me, you're going to lose me quickly."

"Yes."

"Good."

Lucy pulled her legs around and stood up. Towering over her, the light caught her skin, setting it ablaze. With her hair hanging lose, she really was beautiful. She was majestic. An oddity about her was her unique body, something he hadn't really paid attention to. Another oddity about her was how she watched him so closely. Anytime he thought he was watching, she was measuring him. Her gaze was even, as if to challenge him. She wasn't scared. Her bravery shined with the scars that crossed her body like a map. He wondered where the scars went, perhaps across the world. Her legs went on forever, and she walked away from him.

When she opened the door, the humid heat spread in. The heat prickled his skin. Wetness sprinkled across his skin. She stood on the dust of the ground. "This is the kind of heat that I'm used to."

"I'm sure." Harry got off his bed too, going into the heat. "You really think the rain is coming?"

"I'm not a witch, but I'm sure it'll rain soon. It always does." Lucy hummed to herself slightly, a sad melody, soft and deep, up and down with the notes. Harry couldn't name the song, so he waited until Lucy finished up. She never got the chance.

A high-pitched, blood-curdling scream reverberated through the village, bouncing off the slums and rocketing into the sky. Both of them tensed, unsure what to do next. However, they were both trained in different ways. Harry had been in the military; he was trained to go into battle. If there was a dangerous situation, he would be apart of it. As well as, he wouldn't let Lucy go into the situation alone, and he knew she would go in. Lucy's training was different. She had been in a war that she hadn't signed up for, and she fought against an almost unknown enemy. Since November twelfth, if there was danger, she was going in. She wouldn't let someone else get hurt. She wouldn't let someone else die. She always told herself to be better. She did better now.

Harry's blue eyes wandered over to her, but he already knew. They went running toward the danger.