Chapter Thirty-Eight

She sat next to Harry until the sun began to rise on the horizon. The sky was turning pink, away from the used-to-be purple. The stars started to disappear and the moon's light was almost gone. She woke him up every ten minutes to see his brain function, realizing his life was in her hands, and she would make Harry move his legs and arms both times. He had most function back and did it well without grimacing. A scar would've been left but he should've been fine. The wound was cleaned and checked, re-bandaged and he was put back together. The people from the village moved in the schoolhouse in and out quickly, always staying away from Harry's blood.

Lucy fed him some soft food while he was awake, and he was only able to keep some of it down. His vomit covered her shoes. He was given clean water, which he did keep down. She dabbed his skin with a cool cloth. A few times panic built up in her when he coughed too loudly or if he almost seemed to stop breathing, but he was always fine. She couldn't stay still, pacing around the room. Her bones cracked. At one point, she started to clean up his blood. The student brought her journal to her when she asked, and she wrote everything down. Then she didn't have anything else to write.

The light hit the room, and she turned off the lights. Upon the horizon, as Lucy could see, the military was coming, with their massive trucks and their guns pointed elsewhere. They would've been directed here.

She sat down beside Harry and sighed, which the small sound made Harry's eyes open. His blue eyes recognized the sun; he made it to another day. He would make it to the next and the next, so forth for a long time.

"Good morning." Lucy leaned close to him. "How are you?"

Color had returned into his cheeks and he didn't shake. Sweat didn't drip from his body. His breathing was more even. "I'm better." He coughed a little. "How are you?"

"I'm good." She shuddered slightly. "The military are almost here. They'll take good care of you."

"Anything else?" he asked. Harry seemed better now, more awake and alert. He didn't even remember earlier, and she smiled to herself.

"A representative is coming from Buckingham Palace, but they didn't give me a name. They should be here soon too." There were yells from the outside. The military had come. "The military will help you."

The door burst open, making Harry jump. She immediately moved back from him, to give everyone space. A military doctor rushed forward, and Harry tried to brush him off; however, he was pushed down so that the doctor could check him out. The military glanced at her, which she backed out of the schoolhouse. Her hair shined in the sun as she disappeared, leaving him behind.

Harry watched her go before his view was blocked by the military doctor. Groaning, he tried to fight the doctor off, but the military pushed him down. Quickly, Harry was injected with a painkiller, and the world moved around him.  He knew he swam in blackness, not realizing where he was or whether he was asleep. But he heard voices without comprehending them.

There was a scream, loud and high-pitched, how she screamed for help, all from terror. The military pulled out the two men, one of them had injured Harry. Their hands were behind their heads, fingers interlocked, and knees shaking. They could barely walk. Fear overtook them. Tears rolled down their cheeks, and their chests heaved. Sweat trickled down their skin. Their mouths hung open.

People screamed around them, with children held back with their mothers on the dusty ground. The pleading voices echoed into the blackness, and Harry fought to wake. Screams filled the air with sorrow and fear. Harry fought to get up but was slammed back down. Pain echoed within him.

His eyes looked outside, seeing the two men put to their knees. The military walked around them, their guns loaded. Harry wasn't strong enough but he tried and lost. His eyes still watched, and then Lucy appeared out of nowhere. Her determination was set upon her face as she stepped forward, defending the men.

Harry couldn't hear what they said, even as the military men yelled at Lucy, their guns pointed at her. She wasn't scared, fearless staring down the barrel of a gun. When she spoke, her lips moved quickly, and she didn't raise her voice. People strained themselves to hear. Anger showed upon the military's faces, but she continued to speak. A finger was pointed at Harry and then at her. She didn't care, and it certainly didn't scare her. She smiled at him and spoke quickly, which only angered him. Whatever she said, the military stepped back. He sighed and relaxed against the table, feeling that the worst was over.

Harry was wrong.

Lucy was grabbed, at her legs and arms, her torso was taken too, by the military, by the rather larger ones. She kicked against them, landing some kicks and hits, but they grunted and more jumped on her. They tackled her to the ground and she watched as there were two less souls in the world. Two gunshots rang out, echoing throughout the sky.

Screams rang out, but Lucy was silent. Her forehead was pressed into the ground, not looking at the scene. They laid there. Blood pooled around them. No one breathed. Harry fought again, only to have another painkiller shot into his arm. Darkness swallowed him whole.

Lucy shook under the men, upon having stopped fighting the military. They got off of her and went back to their own positions. She was on the ground for a few seconds before standing, brushing herself up.

When she was younger, a joke had gone around that Lucy had enough charisma to start World War III. Then there was another line, Lucy had enough anger to raise hell upon earth. Her eyes seemed to just do that, as anger built up in her. The wanting to scream returned, but she closed her mouth. Their guns still pointed at her. With anger, she had no choice. Lucy walked away.