See -3

Kirsten^

* 3 months later*

The cold winter wind started to blow in at the sky gradually grew darker. The chilly air rubbing against my arms, making my goosebumps rise. The cold thick air fighting against my coughs, seeing the light air rush out of my mouth and suddenly disappearing in thin air. My skin was a pale color by this time.

I ran my right arm over my left, making myself a little warmer than before. Legs shivering, as I kept on looking back to see if anything or anyone was behind me.

It was already nine o'clock.

I walked to the nearest coffee shop that was close to my house to grab a scone and study a bit for a big upcoming test. My backpack was weighing me down which included my laptop which had the answers to everything I needed for this test.

My hair started to fall from my loose french braid, but the wind seemed to pick the hair back up and blow it out of my face. I looked around before crossing the street and walked into the coffee shop.

"Hey Shawn." I chirped to my friend who happened to be working the cash register tonight.

"Hey Laken." He said back. He pushed dark brown hair out of his face before asking me, "what brings you up here?"

My eyes looked at the glass case that contained a scone. My eyes scanned it to pick up which flavor I wanted this time. "Oh yah know, studying. Besides, I never show my face in public a lot so I decided to make a grand appearance here." I made eye contact with him.

"Lake, you come here almost twice a week." He playfully rolled his eyes. "The usual?" He said, referencing to my coffee.

"You know it." I gave a small laugh. "I'd also like a cinnamon white choclate scone too." I added

He nodded and quickly whipped up my coffee and placed my scone on a squared, white plate after he reached in to grab. "Ok, your total is 5.46." He told me.

I pulled a ten out of my purse and told him to keep the change. I collected my food and sat a table. I was enjoying myself  when I heard the bell ring which signaled someone had entered.

I saw that Aaron guy. His jelled jet black hair layer cooly on his face. His grey hoodie and dark navy pants gave him a sexy look. I was in awe looking at him. I felt like a middle schooler with a heartwarming crush. I shifted my eyes back to the screen of my laptop when I felt his light green eyes on mine.

"Laken?" He said. Well shit.

I turned around slowly and gave him a shy smile. "Hey." I replied.

He gave a little smirk on his face. "Normally I don't remember names from people I never see but how could I forget a beautiful face like yours?" I blushed at his comment.

As much as I wanted to stay and talked to incredibly hot guy I knew my mother would want me home even thought she's like a frail ghost. No longer a mother like figure to me. She hasn't done anything but my brothers death hit her hard and no one could pick her back up.

"Well it is nice to you Aaron, but my mom is probably waiting on me at home." I said sincerely, gathering my things together and throwing away the leftovers of my food.

He smiled at me. "No problem. It is pretty late now."

"Yeah we're closing in ten minutes so wrap up yall's little talk." Shawn added in.

I rolled my eyes. "We just were and you ought to know since you're ease dropping in." I put my backpack on my shoulder and gave Aaron a smile as I walked passed him.

"Oh yeah, because I have so many friends to talk to back here." He motioned at everything behind the counter he was at. He was the only one working tonight.

I chuckled and told both of them 'bye' before walking out. I looked back to see Aaron ordering and making conversation with Shawn. I smiled and continued walking home.

Tonight felt like a different night for some reason. Like something good was about to happen and I just didn't know it yet. And little did I know that it would.

I was coming across a bridge as the fog started to roll on in. I kicked pebble underneath my shoe and kept a normal pace. I looked up to see a boy pacing at the bridge. He looked deep in thought. Finally he stopped at the center on the bridge, his hands clenched tight and walked to the railing. I gasped and covered my mouth as I knew what was about to happen. I was about to watch a boy commit suicide. I dropped my backpack and ran as fast as I could to him. He was standing on top of the rail. He was standing at the edge of the bridge, looking down.

"No! Don't do it!" I ran to him. I didn't know what to do and grabbed his jacket and slung him down. He landed hard on the ground and gasped for air. I'm so sorry. I got a good look at his face. Ashton.

"Damn." He groaned. "What the hell was that for?" I could hear the anger in his voice.

"You were about to jump off that bridge! What do you mean 'what the hell'?" I shouted at him.

"Seriously? I was just looking down. Just because I'm at the edge of the bridge doesn't mean I'm about to end my life. Sure I have a shitty home life, but I wouldn't do that. I have too much to prove in life." He said.

We sat there silence, I looked out on the road making sure no cars were coming while he looked at the sky.

"I think it's time we both go home now." He said and I agreed. "I'll see you at school tomorrow." He told me.

I gave him a confused look. "How do you know what school I am?" I said to him.

"Well I transferred last week and since I didn't see a face likes yours, I'm assuming you'll be at this one." He raised his hands high. "Glad I got a new friend. See you tomorrow." He rolled his eyes and turned away from me. I watched him walk down the road.

"Oh shit my parents have to go be worried." I murmured to myself. I tucked the loose hair from my braid behind my ears. I walked over and picked up my book bag and walked home to where my mother and father were. I ran quickly and burst through the front door. My dad was waiting at the door.

"I'm not going to ask. Just glad you're home." He hugged me. I looked over to see my mom who was at sofa eyeing me. We exchanged soft smiles and my dad let go of me. I told them I loved them and goodnight before heading upstairs to my room.

I plopped on my bed and thought about a lot of things. I had to find Ashton at school tomorrow.