Green (Hello From The Outside)

(It's funny how this song works so well for this part!)

He couldn't remember being so anxious ever before, but there he was: his hands were shaky as he opened the door, intrusive thoughts of his quartered friends on the floor, but not one soul on sight. Only a pink Post-It over the blue earphone, with a number on it, the same number of the box.

He dialed the number three times before getting it right, cussing under his breath for getting it wrong, his hands were shaking so much... The third time, after the waiting tone, he heard what at that moment was the Most Beautiful Sound.

"Hello?" Robin asked on the other side. His shock almost made him drop the phone, but he didn't, and just hearing that voice made him feel home, but not the house where they were trapped, the other home, with chicken picnics and late nights watching their show or playing games, and the concern of the little creatures when he arrived late ("You're gonna catch a cold! But look! We made this scarf for you. Manny chose the colors.") and falling asleep on the couch, with the smell of clean warm feathers under his nose and the weight of a small yellow child over his arm.

But this was no time to get sentimental.

"Robin! You're alive! Listen to me: You guys are trapped. What you're living Is. Not. Real. You have to escape before..."

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try calling again" a voice that wasn't Robin's answered.

"Shit..." he sighed and dialed again.

Three times. In total he made three calls. Of those three calls only two were answered by Robin, but interrupted before he could even say anything. On the second call, a weird voice even told him to stop calling or "his teeth would go gray". But no sign of Robin nor Manny.

He had finally surrendered and was walking away from the box when a weird sound: a mix of a "poof" and the scratches of claws over glass demanded his attention. The noises came from inside the box. Fearing the worst, he slowly and shakily opened the door...

And a disemboweled green duck that had been holding on the door as if his life depended on it, fell face flat on the floor, splashing blood and organs and glitter everywhere, no way to see if he was dead or alive.