CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

"Unless Crouch was already outside the grounds, "Ron reminded them, "because it only shows up to the boundaries, doesn't – "

"Shh!"

Silence washed over the group after Hermione's warning, leaving the four to listen to the sound of someone coming up the steps to the Owlery. Of course, Eleanor recognised the voices before she saw their faces, leaving her to sigh in relief.

"– that's blackmail, that is, we could get into a lot of trouble for that – "

"– we've tried being polite, it's time to play dirty, like him. He wouldn't like the Ministry of Magic knowing what he did – "

"I'm telling you, if you put that in writing, it's blackmail!"

"Yeah, and you won't be complaining if we get a nice fat payoff, will you?"

Fred and George came into view and froze as soon as they spotted the four watching them. Immediately, Fred and Eleanor made eye contact, both wearing the same expression that spoke something along the lines of "Fancy finding you here."

However, while Fred had directed his question at Eleanor, Ron directed his question to his brothers at the same time.

"What're you doing here?"

To make matters more awkward, everyone seemed to ask and answer everything in unison, leaving Eleanor to watch in a painful awkwardness.

"Sending a letter," Harry and George answered together.

"What, at this time?" Fred and Hermione questioned.

Fred grinned at Eleanor before looking at the trio. "Fine – we won't ask you what you're doing, if you don't ask us."

Fred was holding a sealed envelope in his hands. However, whenever someone went to glance at it, but Fred, whether accidentally or on purpose, shifted his hand so that the name on it was covered.

"Well, don't let us hold you up," he said, making a mock bow, and pointing at the door. Eleanor crossed her arms over her chest in defiance, but it was Ron, who decided to start the interrogation.

"Who're you blackmailing?"

Eleanor watched as Fred's grin vanished from his face before he and George exchanged looks with one another. From that point on, she knew whatever that was going to come out of their mouths was only being said to cover their arses.

"Don't be stupid, I was only joking," George tried to shrug it off.

But Ron was feeling rather persistent that morning. "Didn't sound like that."

It was Fred's turn to intervene. "I've told you before, Ron, keep your nose out if you like it the shape it is. Can't see why you would, but –"

"It's my business if you're blackmailing someone. George's right, you could end up in serious trouble for that."

"Told you, I was joking," George reiterated. He walked over to Fred, pulled the letter out of his hands, and began attaching it to the leg of the nearest barn owl. "You're starting to sound a bit like our dear older brother, you are, Ron. Carry on like this and you'll be made a Prefect."

"No, I won't!"

George carried the barn owl over to the window and it took off. He turned around and grinned at Ron. "Well, stop telling people what to do then. See you later."

He led the way out while Fred lingered behind, offering a questioning look to Eleanor to see if she would be coming with them or staying behind. Looking over in Harry's direction, Eleanor told him they would talk later before she walked over and took Fred's hand.