Chapter Seven - Finding A New Job

Beginne am Anfang

She remained silent as he continued.

"When I got back and Nader started yelling at me I just exploded. Especially when I saw how he left the office a mess."

She exhaled in relief.

"I don't know what to say, was Layla okay?"

"El Hamdella I helped her out of there"

She looked down at her watch.

"Yallah go freshen up dinner will be ready soon. We have guests coming over. I put a  new suit for you on your bed."

"New suit?" He questioned.

The two families stood in front of the door.

"Thank you for a lovely dinner, Yousif, Yasmin we will keep in touch Yallah (let's go) we should be going." The father said.

"See you at work Ahmad." Amira looked back at him.

"Have a good night" Ahmad shut the door as they left.

"You gotta be kidding me, Mama, '' he paused,  ''Amira and her parents? Why did you invite them? I don't need anyone to find me a bride." Ahmad said.

"It was just a get together with old friends Habibi"

Yeah, right Mama! You have been doing this for over two years, you don't think I would know by now?" he sighed.

"Think about your future Ahmad," Yousif said.

"I am only 25," Ahmad scuffed.

⁕⁕

The next morning, her mind raced as she sat up with her laptop propped beside her. She scrolled down the university website to see her confirmed list of classes.

Wow that's too much, no way mama and baba can cover this, especially after baba has gotten laid off! Throughout her education, Layla never had to worry about tuition. Layla made a quick decision. I can't worry them with any extra debt.

The best thing that came to mind before looking at any job listings was to get up and make dua.

The beautiful voices from the birds chirping outside the window as the sun met the morning sky gave Layla serenity. She folded her prayer mat and started to read a couple verses from Surt Yusuf. (The Chapter about Prophet Yusuf may peace be upon him.)

"Sadaka'Allah el aazim" (God Almighty has spoken the truth.) she whispered to herself as she embraced the Holy Quran in her arms; walking over to place it on the nightstand. The sound of the kettle whistles in the distance.

"Who's also awake?" she muttered.

Suddenly the sound system got louder as the alarm went off. Disconnecting her phone, Layla made her way to the main floor. She tiptoed around the corner to the kitchen. Aisha sat at the bay window, Layla's favorite spot.

"Sabaho (Good Morning), I boiled extra water if you want to make some tea." Aisha said, as she drank her morning coffee.

"Good morning, Mama, Layla fixed a cup of tea and took a seat beside her mother. I was looking at my courses this morning, and the tuition prices have changed. I was thinking to look for a job to help you and baba. I know you want me to focus on Uni but I can't just sit here and watch you struggle."

Aisha didn't argue.

10 a.m.

The morning was going by quicker than expected. They sat together scrolling through job ads.

"Layla take a look at this, "Babysitter Needed" posted two days ago. Give them a call, see if they are still looking for someone."

She dialed the number. The phone rang awhile before none other than Ahmad answered.

"Hello, Ramadan Residents"

"Hi, I saw your ad for a babysitting position online, I was wondering if the position was still open? Layla asked.

"Yes, it is... Would you like to...." Ahmad took a deep breath and paused, I am sorry, but your voice is so familiar, Layla is that you? It's Ahmad the photographer from Yasmin's Salon and Studio!" He said excitedly.

At a loss of words Layla instantly ended the call.

The line went dead.

"Hello...? Layla? You there?"

"Layla?" Yasmin asked.

"One of the girls from the photo-shoot a couple weeks ago, do you remember the girl with the hijab?"

"Yes, the one who saved Mona; did she want the job?"

"I think so, but I think I scared her, I'll call her back," he said plopping himself on the sofa, hitting the redial, Yasmin stayed close by in order to answer any questions that Layla might have.

"Ya Allah it cannot be..." She whispered.

"What happened?" Aisha said her face concerned.

Layla took a deep breath.

"You wouldn't believe it ya Mama, I am not calling back."

"Why?"

Before she could respond her cell phone rang.

"Hello,"

"I am so sorry for scaring you earlier Layla,  but, it must be fate. I mean seeing you just a few days ago and now you are calling me." He chuckled.

Layla rolled her eyes as a small smile formed on her lips.

"Fate? I don't know what you are referring to Ahmad. I am just inquiring about the job."

Aisha arched her eyebrow in curiosity.

"Listen, since you are interested in the babysitting gig, and you also need to pick up your photos come by the studio tomorrow."

⁕⁕

Yasmin shook her head in disbelief.

"You are unbelievable ya ebni"

"What do you mean, at least I get to see her again. I gotta go make sure the prints are ready."

He smiled.

Taken by her son's mischief ways, Yasmin got an idea of her own. 

A/N: Poor Layla! Don't worry, better days are yet to come!

Thanks for Reading! Please, don't forget to vote and share your thoughts in the comments. You can also follow me for news and updates.

Love Razan