Annabeth

Annabeth

“I feel highly idiotic right now Anna!” Maerwynn whined, fiddling with the strips of material that she wore. I groaned quietly before placing my finger on my lips, silently telling her to be quiet with a glare.

Maerwynn huffed in annoyance, blowing away a strand of her that fell in front of her eye. I smirked at my handy work – turning a pampered princess into a measly servant was no easy job – it took quite a bit of work, but we eventually got there.

I grabbed Mae’s hand as I began to quicken down the secret passage, she was walking to slow and it was vexing me. I gripped tightly onto the wooden torch as I used its source of light to guide us to the end of the tunnel.

As we came to what seemed like a dead end I began to feel around the edges of the concrete wall and soon found what I was looking for. A barely visible hatch lay on the side of the wall, I passed the torch to Mae who looked at it weirdly; I rolled my eyes soon after that and began to pull at the latch.

I let loose a grunt as I continued to pull, my fingertips beginning to go red and roar. My eyebrows knitted together in determination as I heard the rustling of Mae behind me. I soon found her beside me, all pulling at the hatch.

I almost laughed in amusement at the effort she was putting in, but truthfully her actions were not making any difference, but I remained silent and left her to think that she was helping.

The huge concrete door began to budge – slowly, but it was opening. Eventually we had the door open enough so that both of us could squeeze through with some effort, it would have been stupid to waste energy on opening the door the entire way.

I popped my head out of the crack to see if there were any guards about. This secret passage led to the meadows, which was very difficult to access – meaning there were always fewer guards around, which I was pleased about.

I took the torch out of Mae’s hand and threw it to the ground, stomping on the flames to put them out; I then turned around to face her and nodded my head towards her.

I could easily sense the nervousness and tension that surrounded her; she gave me a look of uncertainty and slipped her petite body out of the crack. As soon as her feet touched the grassy meadow her nervousness vanished immediately and a huge smile graced her face.

Mae quickly tackled me to the ground before I noticed she was even making her way closer to me and giggled.

“We did it! Oh Anna we actually did it!” she exclaimed, squeezing the life out of me – metaphorically of Couse, I smiled gently and restrained myself from rolling my eyes. I slowly nudged her off of me and raised myself of the ground, dusting away the dirt that had found its way onto my clothes.

“No Mae, I did it.” I replied smugly, grabbing her delicate hand with my callous ones, and began to guide her through the field.

Mae pouted and threw her arms into a cross. “I helped!” she shot back, obviously hurt by my comment. I sighed and threw my arm around her shoulder and began to pat it.

“Of course you did princess.” I replied patronisingly.

I smirked when she rolled her eyes in return and pushed me to the ground. I grunted a little when my bottom came into contact with the ground.

“Mae!” I growled, but stopped before I said anything else and marvelled at the sight in front of me.

The little princess stood in the centre of the meadow, among the daisies and rosebuds spinning around in constant circles. She turned to face me as a huge smile graced her face and lifted her arms beside her. The gold servants gown that she wore blew in the wind, making it look almost as if she were flying.

Her dark brown hair threw itself all over the place, never resting and her usually dull brown eyes twinkled with curiosity as her freckle dotted face scanned the area around her.

I smiled brightly along with her, knowing how much this moment meant to her , as much as I didn’t want to pull her away, we couldn’t stay in the meadow forever.

I ran over to her and caught her flying hand.

“Come one princess, we’ve got lots to do in such little time!” I exclaimed excitedly. She nodded eagerly and we left to trek through the meadow to the main servant’s area.

The Royal grounds are made up of different areas; the royal’s living and leisure quarters, the servant’s houses, the servant’s grounds, the guard’s grounds and the forest and meadow. Servants who serve the royals directly and the housekeeping staff reside in the main castle, the rest of us stay on our own grounds and rarely go into the castle, excluding some of us of course.

“Where are we going?!” I heard Mae say behind me, curiosity obvious in her voice.

“I’m taking you to the servants ground, to show you where I reside.” I replied and sharply turned around, stopping both of us.

I motioned for her to stay quiet and pointed in the direction of the guards who were strolling across the servant’s grounds. A look of panic ran across Mae’s face as she started to shake her head, taking slow steps back.

I threw her an encouraging look before putting my hands in her hair and making it seem even wilder than it did before, I tried my best to hide her face with her hair so that the guards wouldn’t recognise her.

I then pulled her behind a close by shrub and felt for damp mud by its roots. I soon found what I was looking for and began to smear it across Mae’s face, especially over the freckles that were easily noticeable; I then motioned for her to copy my actions and began to roll around the mud, eventually ending up with unclean clothes and twigs in my hair.

“What are you doing?” Mae whispered confusion evident in her eyes. I threw her a glare, putting my finger on her lips and began to lead her across the desert like land that lay in between the castle and the servants grounds.

“Do not even look at the guards.” I whispered to Mae, who was twitching beside me like a nervous dog.

I turned around to see how far the guards were, only to realise that they were staring straight at me and Mae. I keep the emotion on my face blank for a few moments before throwing a sweet smile at them; they simply shrugged and carried on walking.

“They know, they know.” I heard Mae babble nervously beside me; I quickly turned around to face her.

“I told you not to look at them.” I grumbled, quickly pulling her along with me. “And no, they don’t know, there attention was on that fact that we are covered in mud, not who you are.”

Mae nodded lightly, her head sunk in embarrassment; I sighed and rubbed her back gently.

“Whilst were here your name is Mary, not Maerwynn, you’ll be fine.” I said to her, before leading her inside the main building.

I know this was a short chapter, but i wanted you all to get a taste of Annabeth, i won't be doing her POV often, but every once in a while, next chapter will be longer! promise