1. New Beginnings

Before we start, I would like to clarify some things. All these characters belong to me. I have copyrights and I won't hesitate to take you down if you try to steal my characters in any way, shape, or form. Lol, for real. Other than that... Please enjoy my hard work :)

PRESENT DAY...

I slowly wiped the blood off my chin. That last hit stung. The person I once thought was my "friend" wanted nothing more than to end my life right then and there. He raised his hand again. Energy flowed through his body and he released it from his palm.

A blast of crimson red energy struck me straight in the stomach again and I fell to my knees once more and winced in pain. "Please..." Blood spilled from my mouth onto the cracked pavement and I begged him not to end it for everyone's sake. And his own.

"I hate you." The words slipped from his lips like a well-brewed poison before he blasted a straight ray of energy through my chest and I froze in place, clenching my stomach.
I hit the ground with a pitiful thud. Of all the moments I had experienced beforehand, that was by far the most painful, my heart giving up life, willingly.

JUNE, ONE YEAR AGO...

I glanced out the car window from the back seat and looked at the hundreds of dazzling skyscrapers. The windows reflected the sunset's yellow light, making them appear as if they were solid gold, basking in beauty. I looked down to see the everyday people walking across the street in crowds, all going different places, for different reasons. Trash littered the dirty sidewalks while alleyways were filled with shady people and delinquents begging for trouble. Cars covered the streets as if all the traffic in the world flooded to this city.

New York City. Pfft. Big Whoop.

I was 15 years old, rich, adored. I was happy. Major emphasis on "was". I had everything I ever wanted. Money, friends, popularity. All down the drain thanks to my parents randomly deciding to get up and move in the middle of the night. To this day, I don't know why. Don't think I ever will.

Anyway, at that moment I was thinking about powers. People started showing up with them about a year ago, but no one knows why or how. Guess it was just God's way of giving hope to the world. Or maybe just fate playing cruel tricks. Superpowers. Everyone wants them. Nobody needs 'em.

Sure, I guess I would've kinda liked the ability to run as fast as I want or throw a car thirty feet, but at that moment all I wished was that I could just fly back to Texas. To my old house, my friends, and everything else I left behind. That's all I wanted. Not what would happen next.

A distant voice called my name.

"Jack." I pushed it aside. I didn't want to be bothered.

"Jack!" The call was more intense this time. I still didn't care.

"Jack Benjamin Carter!" Then it hit me like a freight train. My mother.

She turned in the passenger seat with her long brunette hair and looked at me with a rising fury. Her eyes were saddened and weary from the long drive. We had driven across America in our small jeep. It was a tedious drive with its ups and downs, but I did get to see a lot of places, so, not all bad.

"I know you're upset from moving but New York is a nice place. I promise." She then reached and rubbed my knee, the way parents do when they know they've thrown you a curveball. "We'll have a better life than we did in Houston."