Chapter Fifteen: A New Buddy

=========================

As we were driving to Ryder's house, the radio was on playing Breaking Benjamin. I couldn't resist singing along.

Something's getting in the way.
Something's just about to break.
I will try to find my place in the diary of Jane.

"You listen to Breaking Benjamin?"

"Yes..." I look down at my hands.

"That's hot... sorry cool."

I burst out laughing. Eventually we both start singing at the top of our lungs.

There's a fine line between love and hate.
And I don't mind.
Just let me that

We both yell:

I like that
I like that

"Here we are."

Ryder's house was a navy blue color with red brick on the left side. His door was a cranberry red color.

"Cute house." I say smiling, getting out humming the rest of the song.

"Ha ha thanks." He says sarcastically.

We walk into the living room, there is an older woman probably early 50s, reading a book.

"This is mom, she should be sleeping," he glares at her and she just smiles. "She watches Shawn, which is my son if you haven't guessed, when I'm working at the club."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Pearl."

"As I'm I, I'm Diane. Ryder hasn't brought a girl home in while." She says smiling, and giving Ryder a look that I have no idea what it means.

"Mom she's just a friend."

"If that's what you say."

"She is mom. Do you want to sleep here or I can drive you home."

"I can drive myself home. Love you Ryder." She as she kisses his check.

Soon I hear a baby start to cry. Ryder gets up and walks into a back room. Diane and me just sit there very quiet.

"You don't talk very much do you?" She asks me trying to break the silence.

"I guess not." I say smiling.

"It's nice that Ryder is actually talking to people. Ever since Meg left he has gone into a shell. Wait I'm guessing you don't know who Meg is do you?"

"No I don't. I'm guessing ex-girlfriend, Shawn's mother?"

"Yup, she was a whore," I was taken back by her words. "But my son was just blinded by love." Sounds a lot like my dad...

Ryder comes back in with a little boy with a binky in his mouth. He is the split image of Ryder.

"Oh my god." I walk towards Shawn. "He is so cute. Can I hold him?"

"Yeah of course."

He was a tank. When I held him he started to smile and laugh. I smiled back at him tickling him and rock him up and down, just like in the movies. I laugh at myself.

"He likes you." Ryder said with a smile. It must be important for his friends or anyone he brings home that Shawn likes them.

"I guess so. I have never really been around a baby before."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Here do you want to help me put him down? I just need to say goodbye to my mom and make him a bottle."