Chapter Three: Papa and Me

--------------------------------

When I pulled into the drive way, I didn't know how I was going to tell papa that I'm going to a drive-in movie with some guy I just met and I needed his car. He would yell at me and wish he never let me go to the farmers market in the first place. I grabbed both of the big, brown paper bags out of the car and walked inside my house, Papa was reading the news in his big red and black chair. It was right next to momma's white rocking chair. No one was allowed to sit in that chair.

When she first left and told me that I would see her again, I sat by there and stared at it waiting for the confidence to stand up and sit in it. I finally did when I nine years old and knew momma was never coming back. It was December 22, 2005. Papa and I were sitting by the warm cozy fire. I was playing with Barbies or baby dolls, papa sitting in his armchair smiling at me. I always made him be the grandpa, my only Ken Barbie doll. Papa got up and grabbed three of the empty beer cans, I watched him go into the kitchen and throw them away. I made sure papa wasn't looking when I got up and crept to the rocking chair. I crawled into the chair and I could imagine her and even feel her hand stroking my hair and telling me how much she loved me and that she was sorry and might even be home for Christmas.

Now that I look back, it was just my simple-minded girl missing her, wanting her love, and I wanted her here with me.

"Papa?"

"Yes." He says even without looking up at me.

"Um.... I meet this really awesome person today, and they invited me to go to the Drive-In movie tonight, so I wondering if I could go?"

"What's the movie?"

"Superman."

"What time?"

"9:30, but I'd have to leave by 8:30."

"Okay, is it a group of people or just you two?" I knew he already knew it was a boy. But I guess that he really does trust me and I respect him for that.

"Just us." I say very confident.

"Okay. Go have fun." He looks up and he is wearing his glasses. He had a very serious look on his face. "But not too much fun."

"Papa that is so gross! I just met him."

He just smiles and stands up and hugs me. That's when I saw what the matter was, the paper. Momma was on the front page with a gun in her hand. No, she would never hurt anyone, I thought to myself, I didn't even read, just stared at the rage and anger she had in her face. I started to read it:

Indiana Mae, age 41, was caught robbing a bank on Thursday, July 8. She had a pistol in hand and her boyfriend, Samuel Potter, age 45, "had his gun aimed at the back of her head previously that night," neighbor Sam says, "if she didn't take every last penny and give all to him. He knew how much was in the bank, because he worked there and he didn't want to get fired or go to jail. But he needed the money to pay off debt and get out of town. Only if she took it all, he would take her. That was because if she didn't he would shoot her in the back of the head, 'Four times and stab you until I feel like you're dead and done for,' is what he said to Indiana." They both will be going to court, Tuesday, July 30th.

I stopped reading. I couldn't finish it. I ran up to my room crying. I jumped on top of my bed. All I remember of momma is that she was so loving to everyone she met. I guess people can be hurt so much inside that they turn evil.

I looked over at my door and saw papa's head poke through the door. I followed him to the balcony and watched him sit on one of those little chairs, which was hilarious and it cheered me up. We sat there, in the summer breeze, thinking about the same thing. Momma. I still had faith in her for a reason that I could not explain. Five minutes later, a sudden gust of wind came and it felt so good and I wonder if momma was thinking of us even if she did leave. I wonder if papa felt the same way I did.

-----------------------

At about 6:30 I got ready for my "date". I like to think it is because he asked me to go with him. Or maybe it was just a friend thing. God, don't let it be a friend thing. It's a friend thing. Shut up! You really need to stop Pearl. I jumped into the shower and used my lavender lotion afterwards. It smells so yummy and reminds so much of my mother. She was allergic to lavender so she could never wear it, smell it, or use it. I heard a knock on the door so I put on my silky robe and opened the door. It was papa. He was holding a box with a yellow ribbon wrapped around. He handed it to me without speaking. I was shocked, papa has never bought me anything before, except birthdays and Christmas. I looked at the box, it was striped with black and pink on top and on the rest of the box it was polka dotted with white and black. I looked at the brand, Lolabella.

"Papa, this is-"

"Shh, it's an early birthday present. I think you deserve it now."

I went and sat on my bed and carefully took off the ribbon and opened the box slowly. The clothing was wrapped in yellow tissue paper. I unwrapped the box, when I pulled out a dress that papa must have seen me looking, or wishing I had, on online. I been wanting this dress for so long, but it was $75.00. It was a tank, maxi dress and was jersey knit, super soft. The pattern was chevron. The colors were a light grey that almost white with a soft red, look more pink. That wasn't all of it, he got me a simple silver chain necklace that said, Forever Young. I put the box down and hugged papa. I'm pretty sure I said thank you like a million times.

"I'm going to wear it tonight." I said while smiling.

"Okay, if it doesn't fit or if you don't like we can go fix that."

"No papa I love it. It's perfect. Thank you."

He left and I slipped off my bathrobe. Now I had to change my bra. I don't think a sports bra will work with this dress. With it I wore my white converse. I touched up my waved hair by adding a few more curls and sprayed some volume spray along with hairspray. I fixed my now smudged makeup, to add to my look I filled in my brows, and put on my red lipstick. Now it was time for the hard part, choosing my perfume to wear on my "date". Did I want to be floral or sexy? I had a least 15-20 different scents, from Victoria Secret, Nordstrom, bath and body works, and miscellaneous names and off name brands. I finally choose my Gucci Flora Glamorous Magnolia.

Papa was sitting in his armchair. He stood up and looked at me. His face beamed. His finger was a spinning motion, which meant to turn around. So I did. I did a little twirl and my dress wrapped around my legs.

"You look so pretty!" He says, he runs he's finger down he's cheek.

"Thank you so much papa." I said while laughing. I then gave him a huge hug.

We stood there hugging for a while. I soon released him and smiled.

"I got to go papa. Love you!" I saidas I grabbed my purse and papa's car keys.

=================================

Bam! New chapter added, hoped you liked. More a filler or background chapter, there will be a few of these so I hope that's okay!

So what's going to happen on this called "date"? Let me know what you think in the comments

As always I edit on my own, so let me know of any mistakes!

Vote, comment and even give me a follow if you love me that much, stop it I you do....

Much love, Khrystene