Chapter 9: Go Figure

Start from the beginning

I'd just settled in at one of the computer stations and started updating my blog when a shiver crawled up my neck. I turned and found Lily Peterson squinting behind me.

"The library closes early on Saturdays, you know," she said.

***

7:40 PM How I ended up near the fireworks stand, I can't even guess. I swear.

But there I was, at the edge of the SaveMost parking lot, scratching my head and questioning my sanity.

"Hey! Hey Summer! Is that you?" Across the lot, Craig stood with his back to me while Dave Brown held his skateboard up with one hand and waved frantically with the other.

I turned away and pretended not to hear. With luck, I could get away before they were certain of my identity. Luck? Ha. They skated up beside me at the traffic light.

"See?" Dave said. "I told you it was her."

"I presume this means you're cured?" That was Craig.

"What?" I said.

He made a big show of touching my forehead. "Oh Craig, loo-ook. Her face is so red. And she's ... so ... hot."

"That's not funny." The light changed and I took off on my board.

Dave caught up to me first. "He didn't mean anything by it. Did you?" He yelled the last part behind him.

Craig sailed up on his board. "I guess not," he said. "It's just that ..." and then he was past me. Skateboarding is not very conducive to conversation.

I caught up to him again. "Just that what?" I said on my pass.

Then Dave was there again. He jumped off his board and motioned for Craig and me to do the same. I did. Craig flew by.

"Don't worry about him. He's just mad because he got stuck with Brady all afternoon," Dave said.

Stuck with Brady? Last week the three of them were best friends.

"He barely got out of going to the races," he added.

The races? I sprang back on my board to catch up with Craig. I shouted to him on the way, but he ignored me. When I got there, I reached out and yanked his sleeve, forcing both of us off our boards.

He stumbled a step or two before regaining his balance. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Just getting your attention."

"You got it," he said. The same scowl I'd seen at Brady's house was now aimed at me.

"What's this about the races?"

"If you'd answer your phone once in a while, instead of snuggling up with ..." Craig jerked a thumb back at Dave. "... you might know."

"In the first place, there was no snuggling," I said. "In the second ..." My phone. Dad must have turned it off. I pulled it from my pocket just as Dave drew up to us again. I walked halfway up Mr. Pomeroy's drive, and held my hand out to keep the boys from following. I pushed the buttons to select the voicemail option.

"Sorry I didn't meet you at the coffee shop, but Jacob called and he sounded so --" I could hear Madison sigh. "And when I asked him what time we were getting together tonight, he said he wasn't sure. He might have to go to the races again. Blah blah blah. Something about his cousin and the car. But I got a feeling ..."