Today was the day

Today was the day. Today I am going up to the mountains or wherever I go to train for the army for Sparta. I am only seven and I Jacob is going somewhere to train. I hate the lying, the cheating, the stealing. Why can’t we all just be normal? Yes we may have a great military but how is that going to get us far in life other than other city-states being somewhat intimidated by us. I don’t want all this I just wish I could get away from it all. All except one thing, true and honest love.

I really wish I could tell her I love her. She’s beautiful, funny, a good listener and everything else I look for in a girl. She has long brown curly hair and puts up with a lot since she has all brothers and is the only sister. Her mother passed away giving birth to her and she has a very mean mother since her father remarried. Her stepmother doesn’t do anything, thus Gloria has to do it all. The only thing her stepmother does is show him for training and still she doesn’t do anything. I wish I could tell her how I feel but if I did I’d probably be beaten pretty bad since I’m considered the “runt” since I always am caught stealing or I give myself up. I can never lie or anything. Am I sure I’m from Sparta?

I leave tomorrow and I won’t have any clothes until I steal some. I hate stealing that and I hate being nude in front of other people. Wait, if no one there is going to have clothes where do we steal them from? Where will be the closest river? I will have to be able to fish which it the only thing I can do. I can also start a fire but that can get me killed easily. I would rather be killed though right now since I can’t have the freedom to stay and continue my learning since my parents are giving me no other choice either. I just wish I could tell her how I feel, and hope she would like me back.

I’m going to do it. I think. I really want to get one more philosophy lesson in before I leave but that won’t happen because all the teachers are somewhere that I don’t know about. I hope she likes me back though, her and her smile. Well here goes nothing. I start walking toward her when I’m tripped by one of her brothers. Oh great here goes my chance of telling Gloria because that just made me mad. I may not seem like a strong one but don’t judge a good book by its cover. I throw the first punch and the next thing I know is that I’m down on the ground again getting the snot beat out of me. It hurts but the worst that can happen is me not getting to go to train. That would be good but then I would not be able to go to school but it is still better than going to the mountains or something. The last thing I remember before everything goes black in the love of my life bending over me with bloody knuckles.

When I wake up I find myself in a room with a straw bed and my right arm and left arm have bandages on them. It hurts so much a tear forms in my eye but I won’t let it fall. My left eye is swollen shut and is throbbing as well as my nose. I must have severely lost the fight. Just as I try to sit up the door open and its her. She quickly rushes over to and makes me lay back down. I cry out in pain as she does so. We talk for a little while about what happend and when we got to our first silence I did what I was going to all along, tell her.

“I love you Gloria”

“I love you too Jacob” She says just before she leans down and we kiss until her father bursts in. Oh no. I’m gonna get it now.