"Patrick, I am so sorry to hear about what happened with your brother," he says solemnly. "And to think it was after your first day of school!"

I shrug, feeling each word dig into me a little harder than the last. "Who...who have you told?"

"I felt, as Principal, that it was my duty to inform the whole school."

The whole school?!

"I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted, but now everyone knows to treat you sensitively."

"It's okay," I say, forcing a smile. "Thank you."

But my head is screaming "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, SIR? NOW EVERYONE'S GOING TO PAY ATTENTION TO ME!"

"If you want to miss any lessons today, that's perfectly fine. You can visit the school councillors if you want. They're very helpful."

"I'll be okay," I say, shrugging. "Lessons will take my mind off things, I think."

Honestly I don't know if I can handle lessons, and I doubt they'll take my mind off the recent death of my brother. But I suppose it's better than being out of lessons all day.

Principal Way sighs. "You're a strong boy."

No, I'm really not.

When I come out of the office, Pete isn't there.

First period is English, in which I sit next to Hayley. As soon as she sees me in the queue outside the classroom, she runs over to me and throws her arms around me.

"Pat, I am so sorry," she says, sounding on the verge of tears. "I can't imagine what that must've been like."

I'm starting to wish I hadn't come to school today.

"You need me, just say the word. I'm here for you."

"Thanks," I say, looking away so she can't see the tears forming in my eyes.

In the lesson, we study a poem about, annoyingly, someone who's just lost someone they love. As the teacher reads it out I feel myself getting more and more upset. By the end of the poem my eyes are filled with tears. All eyes are on me. Pete opens his mouth to say something while Mrs Jones is reading, but he's interrupted by Hayley.

"Mrs Jones!" she exclaims, looking distressed. "Can we not study this poem today?"

Mrs Jones shrugs, frowning. "Why not?"

Hayley's eyes widen. "You do know what happened to Patrick last night, right?" She gestures to me and I pull my cap further over my face to hide my tears.

Mrs Jones looks at me and suddenly looks like she's just ripped a kitten's head off.

"You're Patrick Stump?" she asks.

I nod.

"Oh my goodness, I didn't know you were in this class. I'm so sorry."

I sniff. "It's okay."

Really it's not okay, because that poem just reminded me of all the pain I'm in, but it's better to pretend I'm okay.

The whole day consists of people asking me if I'm alright and apologising for my loss. I'm too upset to feel grateful that they care, so none of it means anything.

After school I make my way to the school entrance. I look at the nearby road. That's where Kevin picked me up yesterday. I replay that moment in my head:

I rush to the school entrance and wait for Kevin's car to show up. When it does show up, I get in the passenger seat next to Kevin with a smile on my face.