Chapter 15: In Their Own Words

Start from the beginning

“Seriously?” Dakota sighed.

“What? It’s my favorite song.” Bonnie said.

Dakota rolled her eyes. “Alright. Niall?”

I was already a step ahead of her. “Can’t believe you’re… packing your bags… trying so hard not to cry…”

’Cause you were mine… for the summer… now we now it’s nearly over…

Dakota sung along toward the end of the chorus. “You were my… summer love…

To be honest, it was actually fun. I’ve done plenty of guitar playing in front of crowds and singing with just an acoustic playing, but this… it was so much more different. I was playing a song to make my best friend’s best friend feel better. It felt like some kind of Inception deal. I heard a small laugh on the other end as I finished the song. “Thanks. That really helped.”

“Glad to have helped.” I said.

“Can I go to bed now…” Dakota whined. “I’m so freaking tired… and cold…”

“What!?” I exclaimed. “It’s seventy degrees and humid!”

She shrugged. “You Europeans just don’t know. I’m going back in. Niall, since you’re in the mood to talk, talk to Bonnie. I’m no good with relationship deals.”

“What makes you think I am?” I asked her.

She shrugged. “Whatever. See you in the morning.”

She ran back inside, leaving me with her phone. “Um…” I started, grabbing the phone and putting it off speaker.

“I’m sorry.” Bonnie broke out. “I kind of overreact when it comes to break-ups. Dakota knows this and always listens to me. You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want. You can go to sleep.”

I was confused. “But I want to talk.”

“What?”

“I want to talk.” I said again.

“Seriously? You don’t have to.”

“But I want to.” I said.

I wasn’t really sure where this conversation was going, but the two of us started laughing. “Okay, well, what should we talk about?” Bonnie asked.

“I don’t know.” I started. “Why do you have an Australian accent?”

“Um… because I’m Australian?” Bonnie answered. 

“So you live in Australia?”

“Ah, no, but I used to. I live in Indiana near Dakota and Kariann. During the summers I come to visit family.”

Our conversation sort of went on like that. I’d ask her questions about herself, curious about everything. She was pretty open about everything, upon herself and who she was. Just talking to this girl made me smile until her questions came toward me. I answered them quite honestly until she asked one thing, “You know, you’re one of the most loved guys from the group. By God, why don’t you have a girlfriend?”

I never really thought of why. I felt myself shrug. “I’m not sure.”

“Oh, don’t give me any of that rubbish. Seriously, do you not like to date because you travel a lot?”

I sighed some, leaning back against the bench to stare up at the sky. “Just because I choose not to date doesn’t mean I don’t want a girl. I’m just waiting for the right time and person.”