Crops in the Corn - @sellersjr

The run of the mill backwoods country bar was alive with sounds of a swinging jukebox, the smell of sweat mixed with pheromones and the ebb and flowed undercurrent of carnal desire in search of a more softened reward.

Behind the bar, Percival managed a smile as he watched two men enter and make their way through the Friday night crowd.

While one was a complete stranger, the other was the aspirant Alan Bisbee who'd managed to hook another possible treat for those that he wanted to both impress and pay off his debt.

"Two whiskey with beer to chase em down." Bisbee called out as they settled in to watch the crowd. For a moment they locked eyes as Bisbee subtly cocked his head toward the back door and the bartender nodded as he set the shots and mugs in front of them.

"Nice place." the stranger said with a smile. "Beats the heck out of county lock-up ... anytime."

"Percy, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine ..." Bisbee offered with a smile; coded words meant to imply his intent for the man next to him. "... Nathan Cole, his money is no good here."

Cole nodded to Percival as the bartender moved to serve others out of earshot.

"Don't mind the brew and suds, but I'm starting to get a real need for an open field to seed, if you catch my drift." Cole sighed as he eyed several short skirts and tight shirts that hinted as to what certainly might lay beneath as the crowd two-stepped across the dance floor to the beat.

Bisbee nodded with a sly grin. "I hear ya, brother. A week in lockup can leave a man ready to lock and load."

"I see a few well oiled chambers that might just be in need of my ammunition."

"Percy has some off the menu specials just for that." Bisbee offered. "My treat as he owes me more than just a few favors."

"Sounds ... like ... a ... plan." Cole mused as his eyes enjoyed nature's curves and hints of things unseen and desirable.

With a subtle nod and shake of his head, Bisbee drew the bartender back.

"My friend here would like to taste some of the more local ... IPAs that might be there for the tapping."

Percival smiled. "Turning in those favors are we Alan?"

"Just a few that this guy earned while we bunked at the county hotel."

"What's your flavor preference?" the bartender offered Cole, his meaning not entirely lost in the translation. "We offer a bit of blond, brunette or a bit of Irish red fresh from the cask."

Cole sighed as he thought about it.

"Like a bit of dark now and then, make it brunette with a bit of Irish for later." he finally answered. "Once I regain my thirst, that is."

"Give me a few minutes to get their glasses properly chilled and Alan here can take you out to get a proper tasting."

Cole waited until the bartender was away. "Nice setup, could make me want to stick around to enjoy more of the local taste."

Bisbee laughed at the thought. "Remember son, sip don't gulp or you might not enjoy the brew properly."

With the wave of the bartender, Bisbee took his friend by the arm as they left through the back door to cross the parking lot toward one of the many dark cornfields that surrounded them.

"Where the heck are we going." Cole asked as he stopped to look over the silent stalks.

Bisbee slowed little as he shook his head. "Bit more private out in the flats, less likely Johnny Law might interrupt your soiree in the moonlight and if she gets vocal you don't have to slow yourself down any to keep her quiet."

With a sigh of resignation, Cole moved to follow as he tried to catch up.

Bisbee picked up his pace as he purposely put just enough distance between the two of them to allow the other man to know where he was while still allowing himself just enough time to meet and greet the Sicarii agent.

The guild of assassins were charged with collecting tolls to offset souls traded to their masters for most anything and everything which allowed folks a chance for redemption as they profited and got what they'd wanted at the cost of what had been held most precious to them.

"Hey, wait up will ya?" Cole called out while he stumbled through the rows as he tried to track and follow Bisbee in the moonlight.

"Just grow a pair and catch up."

The open circle with its copse of stalks as hub opened abruptly as Bisbee stepped out into the moonlight.

Of the three, he was never quite sure which was which until he saw the jeweled emblem on their neck wrap; tonight Pox had patiently waited for him dressed in a revealing black wrap that left little to the imagination.

Long dark hair with touch of black to highlight eye brows and lips, her eyes glowed with subtle sparkle of bright blue as she moved to embrace him and their lips locked.

A shock of electricity surged as his muscles tensed and he gasped before she stepped back to let him recover.

"Per the bargain, your coin of reward for the offered meal." Her soft voice of enchantment made him gulp and swallow hard as Cole stepped out to join them.

"Pox I'd like you to ..." Cole ignored him as Pox gently took his arm and led him toward the center of the circle. "... never mind." he sighed as the agent gently waved him off.

Bisbee almost felt bad but didn't as the stranger was not someone he'd miss nor he figured anyone else would either.

Brought in off the interstate under the influence with his truck impounded and license suspended he'd undoubtedly left little of interest to anyone other than himself to wonder about.

Behind him, two others of the Sicarii Triune stepped out of the corn and approached the center where Cole was quickly taking advantage of their sister. Her wrap removed and tossed aside, he'd lain her back on the ground as he struggled with his own clothing in undue haste and unbridled need.

With their own matching wraps discarded the two agents quietly moved to join them with hunger that would undoubtedly out match his churned lust.

Once they completed their triangle, their needs could be properly sated when they patiently toyed with their meal and devoured him to the very marrow of his bones.

As Bisbee moved to cross the parking lot, he and another couple heard the first scream.

"What the hell ..." the man said as he and his date paused to look off into the cornfield from behind their Ford pickup.

The distant screams continued as they warbled in the night.

"That sounded like a man in extreme pain." the woman said as she moved closer to her date in fear.

"Nothing to worry about ..." Bisbee offered with a smile. "Just setting up that corn maze for Halloween. We're just doing a sound check for distance to track attention of proper chills and thrills."

"Got that damned chill thing just about right." the man observed as the screams suddenly cut short to gurgled drone before silence of the night returned.

The woman applied subtle elbow as they moved to get in their vehicle just a bit more unsettled then when they'd left the bar.

With a smile and nod, Bisbee moved toward his own pickup.

"Ninety-Nine souls of need on the wall, Ninety-Nine souls of need ..." he mused as he fired up the engine that was desperate for both oil-change and tune-up. "... give them one, pass it around, Ninety-Eight souls of need left to reap on the wall."

As he pulled out of the lot and back onto the county road toward town he reconsidered his tally. With tonight's offering he was down to only twenty left before his tab was paid in full.

Perhaps by Halloween he'd have that particular debt paid off and could reap further reward.

One never knew how many strangers might need a friend in the night.

And he had a few more crops in the corn to harvest.

Sooner than later.

* * * The Bitter, Corn-Fed End * * *