My ex wouldn't stop texting me...

by sleepyhollow_101

"I miss you."

I held off on getting a cell phone for as long as possible. I didn't really have a good reason, I guess, other than the cost. When I was just setting out on my own, there was no way I could afford the monthly plan. I was the only one of my friends to still rely on a landline, and it drove everyone nuts. I managed to wait until my twenty-fifth birthday, when I finally felt financially secure enough to justify buying one for myself. My friends all laughed about my change of heart, but I could tell they were relieved. To be honest, I was pretty pleased, too. As it turns out, cell phones are ridiculously convenient – who knew?

I didn't start getting the texts until about a month after I bought my phone. It was the first message from an unknown number that I'd received, and it read simply, "I miss you."

I was confused at first – what kind of introductory text was that? It seemed a little overdramatic to me... and that was when I made the connection.

About a year before, I'd dumped a deadbeat ex-boyfriend out of my life. Looking back, I can definitively say that he was really something of an overgrown child. He expected me to cook, clean, set up his doctors appointments, and give him – yes, GIVE him – half of my income each month, as he did not find it necessary to get a job. I shouldn't have stayed with him so long – damn those devilish good looks – but once I came to my senses, I kicked him to the curb, as all his other girlfriends/victims had done before. My guess was that he'd stalked my Facebook or prodded my friends for my new number. After all, this wasn't the first time he'd tried to reach out to me, and I figured it wouldn't be the last.

In the end, I chose not to answer. For one, I knew he would just try to manipulate me if I gave him the chance, as per usual. For two, it would give me petty satisfaction to let him feel ignored and unheard. Now, as a rule, I try not to be petty, but sometimes such a perfect opportunity is just too seductive.

The next few months seemed to corroborate my inference. His attacks weren't constant, but were always vague pleas that seemed to indicate that he needed a new host to leech off and couldn't find one. It was unsurprising that he'd try to reach out to me first, as I'd been the most loyal and long-lasting of all his girlfriends... and the most naïve. I was the perfect target.

The messages were always in the same vein, and quickly became tiresome.

"I miss you."

"I wish I could see you..."

"I thought I saw you in a crowd today, but it turned out to just be a dream."

Ugh. Pathetic.

One night, about eight months since I'd had my phone, I slipped up.

I have to admit, I'd been drinking. It had started as one beer to help me unwind after work and quickly snowballed into a one-woman party. I was thoroughly smashed when I received a much longer text than usual.

"I miss you so much. I know you don't read these, but today of all days I need you to know how much I love you. I'd do anything to see you one more time..."

Today of all days? I wondered. I tried to wade through the mushy haze of my brain. The first thought I had, I seized. Today must've been our anniversary. Sure, why not? It would be the perfect opportunity for a little manipulation. He was a prick, but he was smart.

And then I had an idea.

He wants to play games? Okay. Let's play. But I'm going to change the rules. I swear my thoughts slurred.