Flashbacks

_Harry POV_

"It is strange being back... Huh," Hermione Granger asked quietly as we boarded our carriage for the ride to Hogwarts.

All I could do was nod as the thestral pulled us to our destination. Just looking at it brought back memories of Luna feeding them and us riding on their back to escape Hogwarts and save everyone.

Things were going to be a lot different and strange since neither Dumbledor nor Snape would be there. I did not know what would come from this year but I knew it would be a fresh start for all of us. Hopefully old quarrels could also be amended.

Ron held onto Hermione's hand and let her rest her head on his shoulder. They were definitely a cute couple and deserved the best. But I did not. I felt that I was to blame for Fred's death and Ginny agreed with me.

Soon the newly built castle came into view. Hermione looked up and smiled a little seeing that it was the same as before. None of the architecture had been changed in honour of the past Headmasters.

"At least we will not have to memorize the halls and hidden rooms again. I mean it was very confusing at first. Remember when Ron and I got lost on the first day?"

Ron and Hermione nodded slowly and looked at me. Ron gave me a smile and sighed.

"Those were the fun days but we will have new teachers and we might possibly make new friends."

"Yah that is something we can look forward to!" Hermione was very enthusiastic about the all the new things that would become of this next year.

The carriage dropped us off at the front gates of the castle. Old memories flooded into my head as we walked through the doors and towards the Great Hall. Such as; Mrs. McGonagall running around as a feline so she could get to places faster, quidditch players showing off their skills and sometimes damaging the windows, but one stood out among the rest. The day he met Draco Lucius Malfoy.

"Well well if it isn't Potter and his golden group. I am surprised your families let you come back after what happened. Oh that is right you two do not have families any more. Well Harry never had one to begin with."

Malfoy was looking between Hermione and I. I looked over and saw that Hermione had gone from being happy to depressed. She had to obliviate her parents' memories of her and of course that was not easy. Not even for a heartless wizard.

I instantly went into a defensive mode and scowled at him before saying, "Well at least our families are no where near Azkaban like your father is."

This time I saw pain flash through Draco's eyes and almost regretted what I had said. Almost...

"That is going a little too far Potter. If you know what is good for you."

Draco motioned for Pansy, Blaise, and a new girl to follow him. When they were sitting at their table Hermione held my shoulder and gave me a thankful smile. I knew her parents had a huge impact on her life these days so it was still a touchy subject.

They follow me to our table and sit across from me still linked by their hands. Seeing them together made me happy and I knew it was helping both of them. I look up at the ceiling and and walls and find the new banners and decorations adorning the Great Hall.

The new students stand at the front nervously waiting for the sorting hat to place them in their houses. A grey calico cat makes it's way to the front of the Hall. She halts by the hat and before our eyes she changes from that small dainty cat to a very proper Professor McGonagall. The new students widen their eyes in awe. She then grabs the sorting hat and reads off the rules and regulations.

Not long after the students are placed and we have a little meet and greet. The new students were shy but soon we had them laughing along with the rest of us.

Suddenly a loud high pitched sound emanates from the front and everyone turns their attention back to the Professor.

"As you all know we have new staff members that will take the place of the ones we have lost. In defence against the dark arts we have..."

I had zoned out by then. Most of the staff was new and I did not want to become emotional with the losses. But of course we still had Professor McGonagall, Mr. Filch, Madam Pomfry and Hagrid.

I finally looked at them and furrowed my brows. The new Potions teacher, or Mr. Furnheart, had a smirk on his lips and his eyes were fixed soon someone. I looked around and found who it was.

Draco...