Chapter 4

Unfortunately for me, today's surprises didn't end with Brent's invitation. I was called out of class the following period and found myself in the conference room, sitting across from Dr. Rosario. The very woman who had spoken at the anti-bullying assembly the other day.

Up close, she was appallingly beautiful. The kind of untouchably attractive that reminded most men they would never have a woman like that.

"You don't look too happy to be here," she said in a way that made it a question.

"I don't need a shrink."

"School psychologist, actually. And no, I don't believe you need to see a therapist. But there were some... intense frustrations vented at the assembly."

"I didn't threaten to kill him," I lied. I knew the evidence was inconclusive at best.

Her mouth twisted like she recognized the fib immediately, but straightened before speaking.

"Any time a threat is made— however small— school administrators get nervous and want to investigate. Yes, there was a discrepancy between the teachers' accounts. Normally, you'd meet with your assigned guidance counselor at least a few times to talk about things. But all the guidance counselors are busy assisting the seniors with applying to colleges. And, since bullying is my area of expertise, the principal was willing to let me lend a hand."

"Do you always meet with individual students?"

"Not often. As I didn't stop Jadarius sooner, I feel somewhat responsible for his outburst. But normally I stick with my speech, which I give all across the country. When I was in school, there was no dialogue on the topic and most bullying incidents were seen as a normal part of growing up."

I glanced at her flawless tan skin and light make-up. Being this close to her renewed my doubts that she was out of her early twenties. Were schools really all that different last decade?

"But it doesn't have to be that way," she continued. "I think if we talk about it enough, we'll come up with some solutions to make schools safer."

I never thought of Concord Hills High as unsafe. I figured if I were someone more likable I wouldn't have any problems with anyone. But as it stood, Jadarius was my biggest threat. I wouldn't have to deal with him over the next few days because he was suspended for what happened at the assembly. But I'm sure his goons would torment me in his absence.

I didn't know the reason for his vendetta, as he had already proved his superiority when he beat me up last year. Even with my growth spurt and the MMA lessons, I was still unsure I could take him.

Also, Jadarius had the height and muscle mass of a college football player rather than a wrestler in his junior year of high school. And the awards that followed from being skilled on the mat. In addition, some people said he was gangbanger and drug dealer. But any black male who misbehaved obtained those labels. At least at our school.

"And there's more to it than my professional responsibility. I want to work with you, Lester. Not many people are willing to stand up to a bully after being wronged. Most cower and hide, hoping that if they leave him alone, he'll leave them alone."

"That never works."

"Exactly. And bullying's effects linger down through the years. Some people never regain the self-respect they lost in their younger years."

"Sounds like you still have nightmares of yours."

"I do." Her amber eyes stared at me, unwavering.