Chapter 3

Such a beautiful dream.

Except I couldn't recall any of it. Or where I was.

I lay stretched out on a seat. Judging by the black interior, it was very likely the backseat of my car. I got out, seeking confirmation.

My body wobbled when I stood. Two steps later I was on my knees, unable to maintain my balance. My palms scraped against the black pavement of the parking lot, my last line of resistance before my face kissed it.

Vomit came up, but went back down. My head was light and spinning and I swore I could see green. Mint-green. Like a thin, but bright, mint-green band in my peripheral vision. I blinked a few times. The band disappeared and instead I saw the pale beige bricks of the McDonald's building.

The Golden Arches were much higher. The thought of lifting my head any further made my stomach roil.

I must have stayed there on all fours for half an hour. Once I gathered enough strength to move, I got back in my car. With my last mumblings I lied to myself that I was safe. I left the car door open to let my feet dangle. The cold air of an autumn night poured in, but I still felt sweltering.

I knew I was dying. Just like what's her face.

I jolted awake again, greeted by the same black interior. At least this time I recognized it as my car's own. A dozen images flashed before my eyes. Memories I was too nauseous to care about.

What the hell did I eat?

I exited the car again, this time stepping slowly but surely. I had my balance, and the parking lot wasn't spinning. My head ached and my stomach was still in knots, but I felt better about driving home.

I checked the time when I cut the car on. 3:17. I sat there with the heat on full blast, cursing myself for leaving the back door open.

The ride home was a blur, just like most of the night before it. The front door to the house unlocked obediently with the turn of my key. My clothes sunk to the floor just the same. And my head hit the pillow.

I hadn't brushed my teeth. And I was really chilly. And, even though my eyes were closed, I could still see a mint-green band.

"Lester."

"Mmm."

"You feel better today?"

"Mmm."

"Good. Take ya' ass to school. They called me at work three times yesterday looking for you."

I pushed the covers away so I could get a good look at him. He was dressed in a black suit with a turquoise striped tie and matching cufflinks.

"Yeah, I made that same face. I told 'em you were sick but they were worried you were skipping because of what happened with Jadarius the other day."

I pulled the covers back over my face. "Mmm. I'll get up later."

"Text me if you don't feel good enough to go. That way I can ignore their calls. I'll write a sick note just in case and leave it on the table."

I noticed his voice was tenderer this morning than during our argument the other night. Then I went back to sleep.

When I finally got up, I checked the date on my phone. Today was Friday and we had the assembly back on Wednesday. I would never eat another McDonald's apple pie.

* * *