Chapter Twenty-Two

“Oh that was pleasant.” Rex laughed as he walked up to me and unlocked the house.

“Was it really that bad?” It had been a while since I had a concerned sibling really get involved with my life.

“Yeah, it was. I never thought my baby brother would try and have such a say in my life. He’s taken over my stand tonight. Says I need to rest because clearly I’m not thinking straight. You pack quite a punch, Kat.” He rubbed his jaw.

“I’m sorry. It was a bad idea. I never thought that I could actually hurt you. I mean look at you!” I threw my arms up as I marched into the house.

“Let’s just say that I do not want to go up against you in the ring any time soon. You really know how to channel that anger. I knew I was in trouble when I saw your eyes change.” He laughed following me in.

“Change?” That was new to me.

“Yep, the color shifts. It happens in a lot of people, but with you, it isn’t just a gentle change from say hazel to green, but they turned red. You are quite unique, Kat.” He locked the door.

“I didn’t blow my cover too?” That was all I needed on top of everything else.

“Nope. Vamp eyes often turn red. Easily explained away.” He walked to the kitchen.

“Thanks for taking me in. I really appreciate it.” I followed behind him.

“Not a problem. It isn’t every night that I get the girl of my dreams asking to stay over.” He pulled out an ice pack and placed it on his jaw.

“I could try and heal it away, magickally.” I offered.

“Ever done it before?” He asked.

“Not too much.” I said.

“You can try.” He lowered the pack.

My hand gentle hovered over the swollen spot. The warmth coming off the injury made it easy to find. I imagined a white glowing light of healing energy going straight into it. I heard a slight gasp, but didn’t open my eyes. I waited until the warmth went away. The mark was gone. It looked like it had never been there.

“Good job. Not everyone can harness their energy for healing. You hungry or anything?” He asked.

The thought of food made me think about what happened at Andrew and I felt my stomach roll again. “No thanks.”

“Since you’re already thinking about it. Let’s talk about what happened.” He walked over to the couch and sat down.

Sitting wouldn’t be the best place for me if I was going to tell him what happened. It was like I told you, only I don’t know… worse. Or so it seems to me. Sophie, that’s one of Andrew’s human servants, handed me a letter this morning. I slipped in it my pocket not knowing what was inside and not really wanting to deal with any more drama when I had an appointment to keep. Well, it sat there until tonight. Sophie reminded me about it after she brought my dinner up. So I read it and he was basically breaking up with me and using the lame excuse of the limitations of being a vampire or some stupid shit like that, but of course he mentions in it that sex is a casual thing. I got sick thinking that he was not only breaking up with me through a letter, but that he was also cheating. He rushed in thinking he could save the day or some stupid shit, and I confronted him- he admitted it, I left. But as a consolation prize I get my house and car back once we return.” I paced back and forth.

“Wow.” Rex looked stunned.

“Yeah, just imagine how I feel.” I flumped onto the couch.

“You just left?” He grinned at me.