Chapter 16: Deadly Chit-Chat

"What do you mean you're not coming?"

Luke stood with Anakin in their shared room at the Jedi Temple in complete shock and even some fear, though he was doing his best to hide the latter.

"The chancellor wants the conversation to be a private one, and he gave me information to deliver to the Council," Anakin told him wearily, arms folded across his chest.

"But Anakin—"

"My hands are tied, Luke, all right? Besides, it's not like anything bad will happen to you. I don't see why you're so against this meeting; what's the worst that could happen?" Anakin asked, putting a hand on Luke's shoulder.

He kills me on the spot, Luke thought grimly. He shook his head and sighed. "I'd much rather you were there with me...are you sure there's nothing you can do?"

"Yes I'm sure. I already asked the chancellor if I could be there too but he was very adamant for it to be a private meeting. He left no room to negotiate. You'll be fine and I'll see you afterwards. If you're really that worried, then after my meeting with the Council I'll come to the Senate Building and wait for you outside of his office, how about that?" Anakin asked.

Luke sighed in defeat, his shoulders dropping. "Fine..."

Anakin let out a long sigh, staring at Luke. "Why are you so against meeting Palpatine?" he asked quietly.

Luke looked away towards the wall. "We met once...we don't get along; at all," he said simply. Not in the least.

Anakin gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry. Though you never know; maybe whatever happened in your time changed him and you'll get along with him better right now."

Highly unlikely, Luke thought bitterly. Instead of voicing that thought out loud, he sighed. "Let's just get this over with," he grumbled, stomach churning.

It seemed Anakin realized that no matter what he said Luke wasn't going to change his mind, though he did accompany Luke there, talking of a special meal Padmé was apparently preparing for when they got home. Luke had no doubt Anakin had talked to Padmé about Luke not wanting to go see Palpatine, and they had arranged the dinner in an effort to cheer him up. It was what Luke was looking forward to in order to get him through this horrible meeting, so at least it would all work out once it was over. A nice meal with his parents would definitely ease whatever happened in that office, Luke was sure of that much.

When Anakin and Luke stood outside of Sidious' office, Luke was very tempted to ask Anakin once again to stay with him. However, it seemed Anakin already knew what Luke was going to say, and he shook his head. "You'll be all right, Luke, trust me. Now go on; the longer you stall, the longer it's going to take."

Luke sighed. "All right, I'm going, I'm going..."

Anakin smiled at him. "I've got to go. I'll see you whenever you're done."

Before Luke could take what Anakin said to stall just a little longer, the elder Skywalker turned and walked back down the hall, leaving Luke standing there in front of the door to Sidious' office. He grimaced, took a steadying breath to compose himself, and then very reluctantly knocked.

The door opened and Luke found himself face to face with the last person he wanted to be alone with. Sidious smiled at him, something that only made the nausea Luke was feeling to intensify. "Luke, isn't it? I was wondering when you'd appear. Come in, my dear boy, don't just stand out there all day," he chuckled.

Like you didn't sense me out here, Luke thought sourly. However, he entered the room, and the door shutting behind him sounding way too final. Sidious put a hand on his shoulder, and it took all of Luke's willpower not to shrug him off. "I took the liberty of ordering us something to eat. We can talk over a nice lunch," Sidious said.