Chapter 4 - We Met Before?

First Person Persepective

"Remember what?" Misa jumps up and down impatiently, "What?"

Our eyes are still connected, staring into each others. His seems so endless and deep. He's searching for something. I can see the hope in his eyes. But for what? Why?

"So you don't..." He finally says, trailing off with a hint of disappointment in his monotonous voice. As if he found the answer just from looking into my eyes.

"What do you mean? We met before?" I blink, puzzled by his reaction.

"Maybe" He smirks before turning away, leaving me in confusion and curiosity. There was no hint of humor in his eyes or smile, only amusement.

~~~~~

Lawliet's so confusing, so hard to understand. I can't predict him. He's too different; everything about him is different. Like the way he sits, and how smart he is. It seems as if he knows everything we're already learning. I know since we've been partnered up, he finishes so fast, and when he falls asleep in class almost everyday, he passes off as number one in the whole school after a test! His personality is definitely different from all the other guys I've talked to. He's so different and mysterious. Sure he may understand all this logic stuff and school stuff, but there's still a lot of stuff he doesn't seem to understand. Like the basics of a human being? I don't know... I can't explain.

The bell rings and everyone starts packing their things. The volume's gone up in the room, filled with the chatter and whispers of students. Some girls scurry to the seat in front of me. Lawliet's.

"Lawliet! Wanna eat with us today?" A girl smiles so wide, her face seems like it wouldn't be able to hold it up much longer.

He sure is popular without having to do much-- anything, really.

"[M/N]!" That deep, familiar, cheerful voice brightens me up a bit. I turn around to see Asamoto, grinning from ear to ear as he ran over to me. He's one of the cutest guys I can name that are better and cuter than Lawliet. He's also one of my best friends.

"Hey. What's up?" I stand up as he wraps his arm around me and I do the same. He smells of sweat and sweet peppermint. He must've ran today, and his mom must've refreshened the scent of peppermint in the house.

"Just seein' how you're doing" He gives me a soft smile as I pull away, "Looks like you're doing just fine."

"Always" I smile back, "Where were you yesterday?"

He rolls his eyes, "Ya know..." And I get the message, laughing in return. I envy him so much. His mom is so sweet. We are both very similar, except he has much more support than I do. He's popular and all his family members are so nice and caring. The only thing that we both share a bond about is that both of our fathers are bitc-- uhm... bad people. But unlike him, I have no support except for Misa, Kiyori, him, and my grandfather. My grandpa really, is my only support. The only person that is truly my home. Without him, I have nothing left and nothing to give. He plays an important role in my everyday life. Thinking of his death is just beyond... wayyy beyond what I can imagine.

"How's gramps?"

Before I get to answer, Misa jumps in between us.

"If you guys are going to flirt, do it somewhere else!" She snaps, hooking her arm around mine. She flashes Asamoto a glare who gives me a look saying, what's her problem? I shrug, giggling.

"Lawliet!" Misa interrupts the girl who was talking cheerfully nonstop. The 3 girls averted their attention to us, smiles gone. Lawliet looks like he just snapped awake and I try to hold back a laugh. Maybe being popular can be tiring.

"You should eat lunch with us?" Misa pulls him up by the arm, an excited grin on her face. Seriously, is this girl oblivious to the glares, or just that strong?

He looks at me. This is the second time he doesn't answer Misa. "You're sure? Your boyfriend won't feel bothered?"

I shiver. Something in his voice is colder despite it's normal monotone. Is he in a bad mood?

Misa doesn't seem to notice and laughs, "What are you saying? [M/N] doesn't have a boyfriend. She never even had one before!"

His eyes linger in mine a little longer before giving Misa a small smile, "Okay then."

The coldness was gone.

Huh... maybe it was just me...