Five

The next day Dean didn't show up. Cas would perk up every time he saw someone in a leather jacket or flannel. He'd look up from whatever he was doing if he heard something that even sounded remotely like Dean's car. After his long day of shelving books he clocked out and left. The loud jangle of the bells pierced the late afternoon darkness. For the time of day, it was fairly deserted. The snow had started to fall harder, blanketing the town in silence. As Cas walked home, he couldn't stop thinking about Dean. Why didn't Dean come? Did Cas do something? Was he okay? Cas took a deep breath of the night air.

"It's okay." He said aloud, "You've got his number. You can call him or text him. I'm sure he just got tied up somewhere." Cas closed his eyes for a second before continuing his walk home.

---------

"You can do this Cas. It's just Dean. Just Dean. Who you may kinda sorta like a little bit," Cas took a breath as he punched Dean's number into his phone. "YoucandothisitllbeokayyouvegotthisCas."

He hit call.

His phone rang.

Again.

And on the third ring Dean picked up.

"Yeah?" A dejected voice replied.

"Um, it's Cas. From the library. And mac n' cheese."

"Oh hey!"

"Sorry to bug you. I just wanted to make sure you're alright I guess. You didn't come today so I figured I'd check."

"Oh." Dean was silent. Cas heard him take a deep breath. "I'm sorry I didn't come. I know I said I would. But..." Silence. "There was just some crap going on. You know how life goes."

"Are you alright?" Cas' eyes got big as he asked the question.

"I'm fine," Dean's voice cracked.

"You don't sound like it."

More silence. Another deep sigh.

"Tell me over dinner. I'll send you the address of my favorite restaurant and I'll buy you dinner."

Cas could almost hear Dean smile had he responded. "That sounds great."

---------

Cas fiddled with his sweater sleeve as he waited for Dean to show. He leaned back in the dark wooden chair and took a deep breath. It's alright Cas, he thought, it's just Dean. What's the big deal? Besides, you hardly know him. And it's not like you like him. Well...maybe a little. He looked around the brightly lit restaurant waiting for Dean to arrive. It was only 5:00 so there weren't that many people in there.

Cas looked up when he heard the door swing open. It was Dean. He was wearing a red plaid shirt and a leather jacket. He had on some jeans and brown work boots as well. He looked around, saw Cas and smiled but Cas could tell that something was wrong when Dean's smile didn't reach his green eyes. He pulled back a dark brown chair and sat.

"Hey Cas."

"Hello Dean," was the only response Cas could muster up. He felt bad for his newfound friend. He took a deep breath, "Dean?"

"Hmm?" Dean looked up from the menu that had been placed in front of his seat.

"What's up? I mean, I can tell that something is wrong."

Dean pinched his lips together tightly, "I'm fine Cas."

"No Dean. You're not. I may not know you that well but I just want to make sure you're okay." Cas' eyebrows were pulled together in a look of worry.