Chapter 7

She still had the painful handcuffs and the blue Borderline. Yet, she never stopped shouting. She clung to the little hope and strength she had.

Everyday, Hiyori woke up and screamed to the glass doors for help, hoping for someone to pass by. Every night, she rattled the chains holding her back. The bright Borderline lit up every late hour, and the passing days tortured her.

Until, on that thirteenth day, her hunger, pain and exhaustion wouldn't give up. She decided that this wasn't going to work anymore. What's the point of screaming if no one could hear? Hiyori closed her eyes, accepting her fate, and let the back of her head hit the wall. Slowly, the world was traded for a dream.

                                                                                                 . . . . .

Yato and Yukine woke up, feeling well-rested and less burdens on their shoulders. They would continue their search again.

Although, it being the third day, they were getting restless. They needed this to be all over. They needed their small, joyful family again.

They went back into town.

"This place's too big," Yukine complained. "We only need Hiyori."

"Yeah," Yato sighed, but then said "but I found you, right?" One corner of his mouth lifted up.

Yukine giggled in response.

"There you are!" A female voice called out from behind. Whoever it was sounded tired and relieved.

Yato and Yukine turned around.

"Tomone-?" Yato started.

  "It's Mayu!" She corrected.

Mayu was holding up her arm to her forehead, slightly sweating. She was catching her breath a bit, probably from running. Why did she come alone?

"What are you doing here?" Yukine asked.

"Lord Tenjin sent me to come help you."

"Help us?" Yato cocked an eyebrow.

"Hiyori is still missing, right?"

Yato sighed, realizing she wasn't going to leave if he told her to. She was too stubborn. "Fine, but I don't wanna hear any comments from you."

"Other than the obvious?" Mayu said, acting like a wise-ass. She folded her arms and smiled.

Yato clutched his chest and looked as if a bullet hit him. "I already regret this."

Yukine hid his smile through his hand. Although, Yato could sense his laughter.

"Also, your plan isn't working."

Yato spun around. "Huh?"

Mayu replied, "We should split up, that way we save time, and can cover more ground with the three of us."

"How dare you!?" Yato cried, shooting an arm directly at his ex-Regalia. "Coming to us to help, only to make rude insults and turn this into your idea! Tenjin told you to help us, not switch things up completely!"

"I'm trying to help!" Mayu cried back, hands on her hips.

"Man, don't I  feel like an intruder." Yukine said to himself as he watched them fight. He felt uncomfortable.

"Yukine?" Mayu called, seeing him unoccupied and alone.

Yukine's head whipped around to face her. "Huh?"