"Who's that Caspar?" Louise asks, laughing, "new hunky boyfriend."

"Haha, very funny," Caspar says, rolling his eyes, "that's Joe Sugg, he's my friend now. His parents are going away so he's throwing a party, do you guys want to come with me? Please?"

"Of course Caspar!" Louise says, grinning, "I'm always up for a party."

"Can't, sorry. Dan and I are working on our English project tonight," Phil sighs, "I wish I could though, I've heard Joe's parties are awesome!"

"Just ditch!" Caspar suggests.

"No, I can't do that," Phil says, "maybe I could come after. Even convince Dan to come!"

"Yeah, so then there'll be a murder there, good idea Phil," Louise jokes, making her and Caspar erupt into fits of giggles.

"It's not funny, accusing someone of all these things," Phil snaps, frowning at his friends.

"Since when have you become Dan's guardian? You barely know the guy," Louise says, rolling her eyes at Phil, "you're just too nice."

"Exactly, I barely know him, and you don't either so don't make assumptions about him," Phil says, "you say you don't like people judging you on your looks."

"Well I don't," Louise says, "you know that."

"Exactly, well aren't you being a hypocrite then?" Phil asks.

"I uh... I never really-" Louise stammers, looking lost for words.

"Just be more aware of how what you say can affect people," Phil says, shrugging, "sorry if I sounded harsh I just, I don't think Dan is a bad person, and I don't think everyone should treat him the way they do."

"How do they treat him?" Caspar asks.

"They move away when he comes close, flinch when he speaks to them, avoid him, gossip about him, refuse to associate with him," Phil lists, "that must be a lonely world."

"I think that you're thinking too deeply about this Phil," Louise says, patting Phil's back, "maybe tone down the brain workout on this one for now."

"Okay, you're right, I should just let it go," Phil agrees.

"Why are you still so hung up on Dan? Like, I get he saved you and all, but what else are you trying to get from him?" Caspar asks.

"Have you seem his smile?" Phil asks, raising an eyebrow at his friends.

"No, obviously," Louise answers in a 'duh' tone.

"Exactly," Phil replies, "Dan has this amazing smile, and I want the world to see it. Bad boys don't smile like that."

"Well good luck on that one," Caspar says, laughing, "I look forward to seeing the infamous Howell smile."

Phil rolls his eyes. His friends don't believe he's being serious, but he is. Phil doesn't know what Dan's life is like, or what he feels like inside, but Phil can guess that it isn't too great. Phil just wants to show Dan that he can be happy on his own.

Phil wants to prove to Dan that happiness exists, sometimes even in places you never expect, like for Phil, he found a strange happiness in the smile of the school's most feared and 'dangerous' student.

***

dan

Dan is running out of potential excuses to use as to why Phil can't come over to his house.

He's an escaped convict so he can't come? Nope, everyone would probably believe it and that would backfire greatly.

He has a terminal illness? Nope, Phil isn't a total idiot.